A Night To Remember

"So I'm assuming dinner didn't go well with your dad" Evie said sympathetically as she finished getting ready.

I rolled my eyes over at her before letting out a sigh.

"Yeah I guess you could say that" I started "Tonight needs to be perfect"

Evie nodded over at me, her eyes meeting mine in the mirror as she finished applying the finishing touches to her eyeliner.

"I just want him to be proud of me" I muttered sadly, my eyes downcast to the floor.

I heard shuffling before feeling thin arms wrap around my shoulders, I patted her arm in thanks of the support before she pulled away.

"You will. You're going to take out the Pythons and then the whole Rin ordeal will blow over" she said reassuringly.

"What do you mean the whole Rin ordeal will blow over" I asked, annoyance leaking into my voice as I watched Evie quietly ponder over her words.

"Nothing...I just mean... never mind" she finished lamely, narrowly avoiding eye contact with me.

I narrowed my eyes at her questionably before deciding to ask her later. 'Let's just get through the night first' I thought bitterly.

"Which do you prefer the red or the green?" I asked as I held up the two dresses for Evie's inspection.

She speculated both dresses before finally directing her finger at the green dress. It was a mid-length dress that was flowy at the bottom but tight around the top with a black belt around the middle. I matched it was a pair of flashy, green heels and small diamond studs, I glanced at Evie's attire, admiring her well-fitted purple party dress before turning back to my own outfit. I heard slight rustling behind me so I turned to see Evie peeking about the jewelry box.

"Hey Kat, what's this?" she asked before holding up a golden locket with a bright emerald sat near the broken clasp.

I hurried over and snatched it from her, evoking a strange face from her as she watched me carefully place it back in the box delicately. I brushed my fingertips overtop of the locket before shutting the box and turning away.

"Please don't touch that again" I asked, my voice slightly strange.

"I'm sorry" Evie started "I didn't know it was that important".

I briefly nodded at her before hurriedly grabbing my outfit and rushing to the bathroom to change. The dress clung nicely to my figure while my hair was neatly done up like a crown across the top. I bustled about, trying to find the right jewelry to wear before my eyes landed on a dazzling diamond ring. I felt my heart clench as I stared at the ring, my eyes slightly watering before I finally composed myself once more. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath as memories filled my mind.

. . .

I could feel the wind gently blowing while sunlight shone down through the peaks of the leaves swaying on the branches of the trees. I hummed softly as I admired the scenery. As I laid on the gentle, green grass beneath me, I watched as the trees danced with the wind, the various bushes scattered through the woods added to the woodland realm feeling while birds gently tweeted in the trees. I closed my eyes, allowing the peace to fulfil my mind as I felt all my worries slowly fade away. I let a small smile grace my face as I felt a hand gently caress my cheek.

"We should stay here forever" I murmured, opening my eyes at Rin as he leaned over me.

"Maybe someday" he whispered back as though speaking to loud would break this beautiful peace.

"Why do our lives have to be so difficult?" I asked softly, my brows furrowed in frustration and sadness.

Rin smiled down at me as he continued caressing my cheek, his eyes reflecting happiness however I could see the underlining tiredness from stress. He gently rubbed my palms before quickly slipping something on my finger. I curiously glanced down, shocked at the diamond that now rested on my finger before switching my gaze to Rin who was watching with a small smile on his face. He gently lifted my head before laying it back down on his lap as he stared down at me lovingly.

"Our lives may be difficult now but someday it'll just be us. No more street gangs, just you and me." he whispered down at me before cradling my hand in his with the diamond slightly reflecting off of the sunlight. "And this is my promise to you that regardless of where we end up and regardless of the odds stacked against us, I will always love you"

. . .

"Are you girls almost ready?" I heard Evan call out.

I took one final look down at the ring before finally deciding to put it on, glancing once more at myself in the mirror before exiting the bathroom, I halted slightly as I saw Evan, Ruben and Blaze. Each was dressed in a neat suit with Blaze's tie being a light blue, Ruben's red and Evan's was silver.

"Beautiful as ever" Ruben winked playfully at me before groaning slightly as Evie slapped him upside the head.

"What about me?" she whined to him.

"Yeah you're okay too" he muttered unhappily, rubbing the back of his head while glaring over at Evie who glared back.

"It's going to be a big night tonight" Evan cut in however his statement plunged the room into a tense silence as we all pondered over our responsibilities for the re-opening of the club tonight.

"Well, are we ready?" Evie asked as we all glanced at each other.

"Ready as we'll ever be" I muttered before grabbing my purse and walking past the other, a deep sigh escaping my lips. It was going to be a long night...