Blood Is Thicker Than Water

The sound of my heels echoed as I walked down the hall, closer and closer towards the dining room. My hands nervously clutched at the flowing, blue material of my dress as I walked. A large double door came into my view, I took a deep breath before hesitantly opening the door. My eyes landed on my father who was sat at the table with two plates filled with chicken, steamed vegetables on the side and two glasses of wine. I timidly nodded over at James who let out a small smile before gesturing me over to the table. I slowly approached the table before taking my seat, my father's eyes were slightly narrowed as he monitored me.

"Please enjoy your dinner " James spoke, his voice cutting the tense silence before he made his exit, the sound of the doors closing echoed with a loud bang.

I fidgeted slightly in my seat, my eyes constantly straying from my father's to the food in front of me. I tentatively started to cut up my chicken as my father did the same, the sound of the cutlery was the only noise in the room.

"Can you please say something?" I finally mustered the courage to say as I looked up at him.

He stared back at me, his face was null of any emotion while his eyes were cold. He continued cutting up his chicken before taking a bite, his eyes locked with mine. I gulped slightly before taking a sip of my wine, unnerved by his stare.

"What is our family motto?" he voiced before taking a sip of his wine.

"If this is about the funeral then I -" I started.

"What. Is. Our. Family. Motto?" he asked again hauntingly.

I stared at him as he continued eating, my fingers fumbling with the cutlery before I finally decided to stick to the wine, desperate for something to help my nerves.

"Don't let your emotions outweigh your intelligence" I whispered.

My father slightly nodded his head before he sat up straighter, his posture displaying confidence and danger.

"Your actions were a clear sign of weakness. The Pythons could have easily taken you out, you were outnumbered and I'm even going to guess unarmed, did I not raise you better than this? We are Belmonte's, we own these streets. If people step up to us then we knock them down, if people perform an injustice against us then it is our responsibility to put them back in their place" he lectured, confidence leaking through his voice. "We don't run from our problems, we don't allow the enemy a chance to gain an advantage over us and we certainly do not show weakness"

"I understand" I murmured.

"Do you? You have a hit on you and your first thought was to attend the funeral of a known snitch" he questioned smugly. "When I handed you the family business I expected results, not for our supplies to be stolen, our men to be killed off and our club trashed. You need to start taking control of the business, starting with the club".

"The repairs are happening as we speak, the club should be up and running again tomorrow night" I spoke, finally regaining my voice.

"Excellent, inform your close Ravens that you all are to attend to the club, I want results" he continued, sipping his wine slightly before crossing his arms firmly. "Think of it as a major comeback"

I nodded briefly before glancing down at my food, my previous hunger was non-existent now.

"Is he really worth it?" my father's voice cut my thoughts.

"Pardon?" I asked, confused at what he was referring to.

"That Rin Addison, is he really worth it?" he questioned again, arching his eyebrow. "He was nothing but a snake"

"Don't" I started, my voice finally beginning to sound firm. "Don't talk about him like that"

"I wouldn't be amazed if it was all a ploy to get inside information, they are snakes after all" he laughed emotionlessly. "Maybe it was for the best" he finished, his eyes locked with mine as his gaze was narrowed.

"Just like mum right?" I responded sassily before abruptly looking down at the table as he slammed a fist down onto the table causing a loud bang.

My breathing quickly escalated as I could feel his gaze practically burning a hole through my head. I twirled the loose fabric of my dress before clenching it in a tight fist, trying to contain my emotions.

"I shall say this once and once only, mind your attitude Katrina, my patience is quickly thinning and I'm telling you now, should there be a lack of results in the next few days regarding the Pythons then I personally will take action. I suggest you get going now, you'd do well to inform the rest of your Ravens of the gathering taking place at the club." he dismissed me.

I nodded slightly before standing from my seat, I hesitated before gently pressing a kiss on his cheek with a short "goodbye father". As I walked over to the door I felt an overwhelming amount of relief before his voice called out again, summoning my attention.

"Don't forget, blood is thicker than water my dear"