Chapter 3

One cool afternoon, three third graders, two blonde girls and a raven haired girl, were on their way home from school. It was a nice day out so they decided to walk the short distance. Truthfully, the distance between their homes and their school is far from short, which is why their parents picked them up. A couple blocks from Aubrey's home though and the trio begged their parents to let them walk the rest of it. Which is why they're walking on their own now.

The three were just around the corner of Aubrey's house when they saw a cute little puppy playing on its own. For a child, this event could only be compared to opening gifts on Christmas morning. "OHMIGOD! A PUPPY" one of the blonde girls exclaimed, the other blonde girl didn't even bother exclaiming her excitement because she went right to it and cuddled the fluffy puppy.

"Abby! Don't just play with a strange dog, it could have fleas and could be sick or something" the dark haired girl scolded her friend. This though went on deaf ears because Abby just continued playing with the dog, Aubrey seeing this followed suit.

Alex witnessing her friends smile and giggle, was ready to give up trying to stop them when she saw a much bigger and a much meaner version of the puppy. "Oh no" Alex whispered to herself, "Abby, Aubrey, I think you should leave the puppy alone" Alex warned in a shaky voice, however, just like you can't really tell children to not open their presents on Christmas morning they aren't about to be deterred.

A growl coming from behind the two honey blondes stopped them from making cooing noises and slowly, they turned their heads to be almost face to face to a perfectly sharp canines. Thankfully, the 9 year olds had enough sense to not run around screaming or it would've been a bloody sight. Or it wasn't their common sense that stopped them from moving. They could've simply froze in fear, whichever one prefers to think.

"Let go of the puppy, and slowly back away" Alex whispered and took baby steps at a time towards her friends. The only thing the two blonde girls were capable of following is the first one, backing away seemed impossible at the moment.

When Alex was at least a foot or two from the girls, she slowly removed her bag and rummaged through it. When she found the chicken sandwich she didn't finish for lunch she took it out and slowly laid it down in front of the angry mother dog. She made sure to not make jerky motions that may appear aggressive to the protective mother dog, which is kind of hard because she's literally shaking like a leaf.

This plan seemed successful enough when the dog stopped growling and started sniffing the sandwich. "Back away now, and do it slowly, please" she whispered to the still kneeling girls, this seemed to finally unfreeze the two girls. They did follow the instructions but only half of it, because instead of backing away slowly they ran screaming at the top of their lungs.

Alex panicked and ran after the girls thinking the dog would go after them, fortunately said dog was occupied enough with the tasty treat the kind stranger offered her.

When the three girls reached Aubrey's home, they scrambled to get through the gate before slamming it close. The two honey haired girls proceeded then to lie on the grass and giggle uncontrollably. Alex was still huffing and puffing watching the two girls with accusing eyes.

"I told you to leave the puppy alone! I told you to back away slowly! That dog could've eaten me alive! You two never listen! Why can you never listen to me?!" the tallest child shrieked at the two laughing girls. This outburst seemed to sober them up quickly because they knew when Alex gets mad it means she's really, really mad, because she never gets mad.

They stood up with guilty expressions. "Awww sorry Alex, you were really brave out there" Aubrey apologized first, "yeah! You were the bravest!" Abby seconded.