Chapter 9

When Drew got to Aubrey's room, she was glad that it wasn't locked. She knocked three times and entered without waiting for an invite. When she got inside she found Aubrey in the same position she found her earlier in, curled up on top of the bed, her back facing the door.

She sat on the edge of the bed planning on comforting her girlfriend again, "I think I want to be alone for now, please" Aubrey's voice sounded so small. Drew was shocked to say the least, this was the first time Aubrey has rejected her company. As it is the first time, Drew wasn't sure how to deal with that. "I-, are you sure?" Drew asked, her voice soft.

"Yes please" Aubrey answered, she tried to make her voice even, so that Drew won't know she's crying. She heard Drew sigh, "okay, just call me when you change your mind" Drew whispered, Aubrey felt her girlfriend hover for a second before finally deciding to leave her alone. She heard the door shut close.

Aubrey closed her eyes firmly, trying to stem the flow of the tears. She was hurt by Abby's words, yes, but the tears aren't for that. It's because she's back in that awful time. Abby's words suddenly took her to a time she never wishes to visit. She remembers the night she and Drew made love in New York, the time where they had just broken up and she went to New York to try and salvage their relationship. They slept together that night, the morning after, Drew told her she was satisfied with her services and tried to hand her a wad of cash.

She had never felt so humiliated and betrayed in her entire life. That time feels like so long ago, they're past that already. She knows Drew regretted her actions and words, she knows Drew didn't mean those words, she knows Drew loves her and she has never trusted Drew than she does now. Which is why she doesn't understand what she's feeling right now, like hearing Abby imply that she couldn't not have sex with Drew felt so awful in her mind. Like she was some cheap whore who couldn't keep her legs close together long enough, like what Drew implied that same night.

She knows Abby didn't mean those words too, she knows, so why is it, that those words suddenly reminded her of that time. Why did those words feel like it's burning her insides and like ants were crawling in every inch of her skin? How come when Drew entered the room and spoke to her, suddenly, it felt like someone put a gas on those flames that was inside of her and the ants started to go into frenzy.

Aubrey covered her ears and curled up further, as if this would stop the echoing words and onslaught of memories and emotions.

Drew was frustrated and angry, she was almost disappointed when Alex was no longer there when she went downstairs. She just wanted to bash something and the root of all this would've been the perfect candidate. Drew was nervous, this has never happened before and she has no clue what's going on inside her girlfriend's head.

--

The weekend came for Aubrey's parents to visit. Drew was in a foul mood, she has spent the last two nights alone on her bed at the penthouse. She and Aubrey spoke regularly still but Aubrey seemed almost detached to everything, and this was driving Drew crazy. She was scared shitless, to be honest, she just doesn't know what to do. She'd tried bringing up what happened Thursday night but Aubrey would just shrug it off, say she was fine and that was the end of it. If Aubrey noticed Drew's internal panicking, she doesn't seem to show signs of her noticing it.

The apartment was filled with tension even Aubrey's parents noticed, even Ari spoke very little like she knew there was something going on but didn't know how to interpret it. When Aubrey's parents broke the news about their pregnancy, Aubrey was able to fake enough enthusiasm and surprise.

Paige went out with her old roommate, Chloe was back in New York for the weekend so it was just the seven of them. Alex and Abby was present at the apartment too. Abby was not happy about the presence of that other person but remained silent in deference to Aubrey's parents and sister. Drew stewed inside while Alex awkwardly conversed with Aubrey's parents.