Chapter 6

"Go Alex!!!" two thirteen year old blondes screamed at the top of their lungs just as a loud bang was heard. Today is the USATF National Junior Olympic Track & Field Championships, and their friend is competing for a possible gold medal for the 100 meter dash.

Abby and Aubrey held their breaths and watched as their best friend zoomed passed everyone. There was only 10 meters left away from the finish line, 9, 8, someone was catching up, Alex closed her eyes and ran like her life depended on it. When she felt the tape break against her chest, she grinned. She did it! An uproar of cheers and applause followed the deafening silence.

When Alex opened her eyes, she saw her two best friends running towards her with the proudest expression they could muster. She raised both her thumbs up in their direction, two seconds later and she was tackled to the ground by two very excited pre-teens.

"OH MY GOD! You did it!" "You were amazing out there!" Alex couldn't understand the following words her friends babbled after those first sentences. When the two finally let up, she saw her Dad grinning at her, she grinned back and ran towards him. He carried her and raised her up against the sky, "My daughter is a champion! You truly are my strongest sperm cell" her father beamed up at her, usually she hated when her dad called her his strongest sperm cell, it was just icky, but today she was in a high and she'd let her dad have this moment.

When her dad set her back down, her team mates and her coach came over to her and congratulated her, they patted her back, rubbed her head and even carried her around, mostly the boys did the lifting. She's the captain of the track and field club and out of all of them, she was the only one who got into nationals. They were so proud of her, and she totally deserved this win, no one worked harder than she did during practices, heck, she even practiced even if there was no practice.

They had to stay for a while until the awarding but after that, everyone was invited for the celebration in a restaurant Alex's dad reserved for his baby girl. He didn't doubt his daughter's talent and had the reservation even a week prior to this event.

--

"Abby! Seriously wait up!" Aubrey hollered trying to catch up on her best friend, she saw Abby take a deep breath and stopped walking. Aubrey took that chance to jog over to Abby, she didn't want to risk her friend changing her mind and walking away again.

"What happened there?" Aubrey asked the shorter blonde once she was sure her friend could hear her. Abby shrugged, "nothing, got bored"

"You're lying, please Abby. I've been trying my best not to pry because I know you'll just clam up further if I try to force you but it's been weeks since Alex showed up. At some point you gotta tell me what happened between the two of you, for you to hate her so much now" Aubrey implored. "I know that ever since Drew and I got together, I've been a shitty best friend, I know it's partially my fault that you've preferred to keep things to yourself. I promise to be better, but please, let me back in again. I want to get back to how we used to be, no secrets" Aubrey was almost teary eyed.

Drew just rounded the corner when she heard that last bit, she decided the two needed this time and went back to her car, thankfully, that Alex was nowhere in sight.

Abby turned towards her best friend, eyes wet with unshed tears and hugged Aubrey. "I know, I'm sorry too. I just didn't want you to deal with my problems on top of your own. For now, I'm not ready about Alex, but I also promise to behave around her if you want to spend time with her. She's still your friend and I get that I'm being unfair, I know that you've avoided spending time with her to spare me and I truly appreciate that. One day, when I'm ready, I'll tell you all about it. But there is one secret I've been keeping from you, something that I'm willing to tell you now"