xvii

jooheon's eyes slowly cracked open feeling an unexpected warmth around his chest.

he glanced down to see changkyun's sleeping face cuddled into him.

the older boy smiled and ran his fingers through the small boy's hair soothingly.

"so beautiful," jooheon mumbled kissing changkyun's forehead.

he looked beautiful regardless of his dried tears and smudged makeup.

changkyun's small fingers gripped jooheon's shirt tightly and his face twisted into an unreadable expression, his eyes still shut.

"babe," jooheon whispered.

the petite boy shifted uncomfortably.

"babe, wake up."

changkyun whined softly.

jooheon gently caressed his face and pecked his lips, "baby, are you having a nightmare?"

"no!" changkyun shrieked sitting straight up clutching his hand over his chest, almost knocking jooheon over.

"woah babe, are you okay?"

changkyun stared at jooheon wide-eyed as his face flushed pink.

although he was embarrassed, he crawled between jooheon's legs and hugged his torso tightly, he never handled scary things very well.

jooheon smiled and wrapped his arms around the other's boy's small waist pulling him close to himself.

"are you alright?"

"yeah."

"were you scared?" jooheon ran his fingers gently through changkyun's silky hair once again.

"yes," changkyun hummed closing his eyes as jooheon's touch calmed him.

"well, you're okay now."

"is this even real?" changkyun sighed looking at the older boy.

"what?"

"is this even happening right now?"

"of course it is silly."

"this is weird."

"why?"

"because i'm supposed to hate you."

"you aren't 'supposed' to do anything changkyun," jooheon smiled running his fingers along the smaller boy's spine.

"what will other people think?"

"you worry too much."

"changkyun! i know you're in there! how dare you skip my banquet!"

changkyun's eyes widened at the sound of his father's voice behind his door.

"crawl under the covers, i've got this," jooheon smiled patting the top of his head.

"jooheon i-"

"shhh."

the elder boy stood from the bed and approached the door carefully.

as soon as he turned the knob he bowed at a completely ninety degree angle and gave the overpowering man the biggest puppy eyes possible.