Prologue~

"You seem so familiar... I just wan't to ask; have I seen you somewhere before?"

~*~

Soft wisps of snow cascaded gently in the twinkling night sky. The temperature of the atmosphere had dropped from the first snowflake, but it didn’t bother anyone who was out on that particular night. Pairs of couples walked about on the cold pavement of the park, huddled close to one another with their thick coats pressed snugly against their chilly skin.

It was Christmas night.

A pair of steel-black eyes surveyed the whole scenario in the park, scoffing in an uninterested manner. He felt that all of this was a waste of time; youngsters who have nothing better to do than just goofing around on such a cold night. Of course, he was also at the park, but he went for a different reason. To him, this cold weather was oddly calming for his normally stoic demeanor; a change of pace for him. He enjoyed his nightly visits to the park to catch a whiff of the cool winter air and feel it ruffle his coal-colored hair.

He felt that the many new visitors to the park on this particular night were rather annoying, but he could still find some soothing feel to the silent night.

His gloved hand rested lightly on the railing he was leaning on as he tilted his head to look up into the sky with a sigh. He didn’t know, honestly, why he would get agitated so easily nowadays. Of course, the fact that Hanji was a troublemaker who loved to disturb him in the office was ever-present, but he felt that it wasn’t really because of her; he had more or less grown accustomed to her hyper attitude. It’s just that… he had been feeling… empty, recently. He felt like something was missing from his life, and not knowing what it was irritated him to no end. A nagging feeling would tug at him from the moment he opens his eyes in the morning to the blissful time when he was about to sleep. It was tiring to keep trying to figure what it was.

BUMP! CRASH!

A little caught up in his thoughts, Levi got slightly surprised by a sudden weight falling on top of his body, pushing him to the floor along with the strong impact. He grunted in displeasure, obviously pissed again that someone just had to ruin a moment of peace in his day. One of his hands went up to rub a bump on his head and he let out a short hiss. His cold eyes looked up with a dangerously narrowed tinge to glare at the person on top of him- only to be met with a pair of lively olive eyes.

Levi suddenly felt an unknown surge of emotion rush through his being when their gazes intertwined. Those eyes were so lively… so uniquely hiding a big ocean of passion behind them. Levi hadn’t seen someone with such special eyes in a long time, but there was something else about them; the nagging feeling hit his head again and made him pause for a moment. Those eyes… they were so… familiar.

“I-I’m so sorry, sir!” the voice of a teenage boy, he assumed, reached his ears and brought him out of the sea of teal.

Levi looked up again and adjusted his gaze, finally seeing the person above him properly. He appeared to be a young male with dark brown hair in a slightly messy style that was probably around 15 or 16 years old.

Apparently, all Levi’s staring had caused the boy to misunderstand it as anger- since he did have a scary face and attitude. The boy jumped off Levi and quickly bowed his head, “I’m really sorry. I didn’t mean to crash into you.” He quickly apologized.

Levi gave a soft monotonous hum and got up with a few brushes.

“Watch where you’re going next time, brat.” He hadn’t intended to sound so mean and grumpy, but it was kind of like a force of habit.

A small spark of amusement coursed through him when he saw the boy’s eyes light up in irritation, most likely because he was being called a brat. He heard a series of pants and noticed two other teens run toward the boy.

“Eren!” the girl cried, “are you okay?” she was quick to rush to his side.

The other one, a blonde boy, came up to Levi first, “W-We’re sorry, sir. Our friend Eren was just learning to skate so he didn’t have very good balance. Forgive him for bumping into you.”

Levi sighed, “It doesn’t matter. Try to be careful next time… Eren, was it?”

Those green orbs lit up again in an unknown emotion this time. The boy nodded.

“Um… Sorry again, sir.”

“…. Just call me Levi. ‘Sir’ makes me sound too old.”

The small group of four exchanged a few words with one another, and Levi got to know them better; the girl was called Mikasa Ackerman, and she was apparently Eren’s adoptive sister. The blond boy was Armin, a close friend of Eren’s.

And, in all that, Levi didn’t notice that he actually felt much calmer than usual. There was a foreign emotion in his heart, and a strangely comforting night awaited him. He didn’t think much of it at first, thinking of this encounter to be just a coincidence that gave some color to his dull night. He didn’t expect for those emerald eyes to draw him closer to the missing piece he had been searching for….