Chapter 04: Truth

CHAPTER 4: Truth

[NOTE: So, because I noticed that this chapter didn't really explain much on Eren's job- causing a lot of confusion, and also because I had an idea to elaborate this chapter more for a future plot I'm planning, this chapter will be edited and I will add more details! ^^ So feel free to check back on this chapter! I'll announce it once it's done and this note will also be deleted after the edit c: Thank you all! <3]

//I keep getting the feeling that you’re so familiar. I just want to ask; have I seen you somewhere before?”//

~*~

“Why did you come here, Mikasa?” Eren asked the girl with the red scarf. There was a pinch of irritancy heard from his voice.

Her eyes softened as she held his hand in her own, looking calm and yet alarmed at the same time. She sighed at him, “Eren, why didn’t you let me know that you moved here? Do you know how worried I was—”

“Mikasa, I’ve told you many times before: I can take care of myself.” He pulled his hand away from her, oblivious of how a shadow was cast on her face when he did so. “And,” he questioned, “…how did you find out I was here anyway?”

“My boarding school is under a short holiday, so everyone was allowed to come home for the short period of time.” Mikasa said slowly. “But when I came home to no one, I immediately called Armin. He told me you moved here… and also your intentions, Eren! I don’t want you to get hurt!”

Eren cursed under his breath- probably at himself for letting his best friend know about his move. He looked defiantly at her, “I’m perfectly fine! Things are going great right now. You really don’t have to worry about me so much, all the time, Mikasa.”

Levi blinked at the scene, a little displeased that they decided to argue right in the halls; if it got too loud, it would definitely attract complaints from the neighbors. But he didn’t want to just cut in on their conversation, so he just kept quiet for the time being. It was a good chance for him to understand what was really going on- at least now he knew what happened to that girl… Mikasa, was it? She’s in boarding school, so that’s why she didn’t follow Eren over. He was pretty sure she would have if she was given the chance…

But, something in their conversation made Levi ponder- what’s all that about him getting hurt? If he just moved for a change of pace, then nothing should put him in harm. What other intentions had he hidden?

“… Mikasa I’m being serious right now. Please just go home. I know how to take care of myself!” he repeated himself, bringing Levi back to focus on the conversation.

Levi could see the shadow overcast part of her face, showing her obvious disappointment.

“Let’s go inside, Levi.” Eren said and turned to look at the raven-haired male.

Levi raised an eyebrow but complied anyway; he would find out eventually so he just had to stay out of it for now.

The moment he took out his key from his pocket, he realization suddenly hit him—

Why was he so bothered about the boy? Usually he wouldn’t even think twice about meddling in other people’s affairs- including those who work with him and even below him.

…His mind remind him that it was because this boy was living with him, so he at least needed to know more about him; you’d never know if someone was a criminal, right? But then, there was always a tiny voice at the back of his mind and also at the corner of his heart nagging at him. Ever since he met this boy, he could personally see and feel his life change in broad daylight. And every time he was with the boy… he felt calm; he would constantly feel amiss of something and he almost always had an uneasy feeling before meeting the brunette.