Chapter 16: Recovery

// "Let's be together again in our next life...!" //

CHAPTER 16: Recovery

~*~

The crisp white curtains of the hospital room fluttered with ease, following the flow of the gentle breeze that swept itself in through the open windows. The evening sun peaked in between those fluttering curtains and spread a golden-like glow on everything it hit; namely, the soft brown hair of the boy lying asleep on the white bed.

His face looked peaceful and truthfully he was. But as time ticked by, his eyes slowly started to blink open and meet the golden hue all around the room.

Eren sat up slowly with a stifled yawn, and tried to ignore the throbbing that was still prominent in his abdomen. Just yesterday, he had supposedly woken up from a coma- something he’d never expect. He was glad when he saw the people he cared for all around him when he did wake up, though. Armin, Mikasa…Levi… He remembered seeing tears in Levi’s eyes, and for the first time he got a glimpse of so much emotion from Levi. Even though none of them really wanted to tell him what happened, he could guess that it probably wasn’t good. He was somewhat content with not knowing; at least he was together with them again.

Catching himself in the middle of his thoughts, his hand suddenly brushed something beside him on the bed and it made his head snap down in surprise.

He nearly gasped when he saw the raven-haired man he was just thinking about moments ago asleep with his head buried into folded arms on the bed. It was...cute. Eren covered his chuckle and glanced at the clock- it was 6p.m. already. For one thing, he knew that Levi had stayed up a couple of nights to take care of him… that’s why he was still worn out and asleep until now.

Eren’s lips tilted up into a loving smile, watching the man’s sleeping figure. He could feel his heart racing inside of his chest and he reached a hand out to stroke Levi’s silky hair. Despite how dark Levi’s hair color was, there was also a golden glow around it from the evening rays… it looked like a majestic crown somehow…

“Levi…” he heard the man’s name slip from his mouth.

// “I love you, Levi”//

And that memory suddenly hit him like a ton of bricks.

He had confessed to Levi! While he was still too tired yesterday, his mind was all hazy and he didn’t have the effort to think things back clearly. But now that he was fresh again…

“Wahh! Oh my god I can’t believe I already confessed to Levi!” He thought to himself, burying his red face into his hands. “B-but then, that was because I thought I was going to die….” He countered his own mind, “W-Wait! Does that mean… we’re lovers now?!” But more importantly, why is he even fighting himself in thought?!

By now, Eren was shaking his head frantically like an embarrassed schoolgirl. At least until he heard an amused hum beside him. With his face still buried, his teal eyes snapped open in shock.

“Hoh… you seem flushed, Eren… I wonder what are you thinking about…”

“W-What?! I wasn’t thinking about anything—“

!!!

And he paused.

He had wanted to turn around and retort to Levi’s teasing but suddenly found his face a mere centimeter from the man’s face, like literally! He could feel their noses almost grazing each other’s and their lips were so close!