Chapter 06: Danger Lurks

CHAPTER 6: Danger Lurks

//“I keep getting the feeling that you’re so familiar. I just want to ask; have I seen you somewhere before?”//

~*~

"What…What’s happening?! Why is everyone running away?!” Eren shouted at the people around. Many of them were running away from the small village by the edge of the city. Eren had gone out to get something for his mother, but returned to total chaos. Even before he reached the village center, people were crowding and bumping into one another, all trying to push their way out. He could see some children crying, some of the weaker people were pushed to the ground as the others scrambled for safety. He quickly squeezed his way through the crowd, running toward his home to see what all the commotion was about.

That was when he saw his village- his home, all colored in flames and nothing but ruins…

Some of the houses were completely reduced to rubble, others were smashed and burning. Smoke filled his nostrils the way it filled the air, and he panicked. He noticed that most of the fire was coming from the direction of his house and there were still some people running around in the village.

He picked up the pace, fearing for the worst for his family. He ran past dead bodies of former neighbors and trudged through blood that split on the floor. Even as he still had no clue on what was going on, his mind was only preoccupied with his family.

“Mom!” he called at the top of his lungs when he rounded the corner. His heart dropped.

The sight of his house almost completely eaten up by flames caused his breathing to pick up feverishly. He ran faster, calling out for his mother over and over again.

And he saw her, trapped between pieces of the roof of his home and the ground.

“Mom!” he cried, running up to her and frantically trying to free her. He pushed away rocks and broken parts of what used to be his wall.

“Eren…?” he heard his mother stir, and that made hope wash into him. She was still alive! He had a chance to save her! He wasted no time to take hold of the roof and try to pull it off of her, but to no success as he could only make a small difference in the gap.

“Eren, you need to run! There are very bad people here that are set out to ruin everything!” his mother pleaded to him with desperate eyes. Tears poured from her eyes as she looked up at her beloved son. The way his mother was in, Eren was already crying, not wanting to give up yet. He was set on saving her if it was the last thing he would do.

“No…” he cried, “No…! I won’t leave you! Please hurry and come with me!”

“I…I can’t, Eren! My legs…they got caught in the flames… Please, just go! You need to stay alive, Eren!”

Eren was about to retort something when he heard the sound of many men approaching. He could faintly see their outline….and it looked like they were all armed with guns and rifles.

“Who are those people?!”

Still not giving up, he tried to push the roof again, and this time, he was able to move it a little bit. He didn’t care; every ounce counts as long as he could save his mother! He couldn’t lose her!

“They… They belong to the mafia. In this country, they’re one of the most dangerous mafia societies. I-I’m sorry, Eren… Your father and I, we had a big debt with them… We weren’t able to pay them back on time. So…”