Chapter XXXI, Powerless.

a/n: it's my birthday and this is me giving you a present 😊

•••

"I can't believe you guys made a bet about it," Camila whines with a frown on her face, even though she is munching happily on the piece of pizza that she is holding in her hand.

"I accepted only because I didn't want my dad to suspect anything," Ally arguments, holding up both of her hands in surrender before she grabs her own piece of pizza to take a bite.

"It was so obvious, though," Jerry comments, making Lauren choke on the pizza she was swallowing. "You alright, darling?"

Lauren nods, giving him an awkward smile and feeling her face grow red as she keeps coughing. Ally's dad gives her a glass of soda and Lauren takes it from his hands, gulping the remaining liquid before her own body decides to cooperate with her.

"Are you okay, babe?" Camila asks in a concerned tone, rubbing Lauren's back with one hand as with the other she grabs another slice of pizza. Lauren's face gets hotter and she doesn't know if it is because Camila just called her 'babe' in front of Jerry for the first time, or if it is because she still has not stopped coughing completely.

"Yes," Lauren husks after a moment in a dry husky voice. "Sorry," she says, taking Camila's glass to drink a little bit of more soda.

"It's okay," Ally tells her kindly, giving Lauren one of her smiles. "Since when do you know, by the way?" the smaller girl asks her dad, who is sitting beside her in the booth.

"I've known for years," Jerry replies dismissing the question with a wave of his hand before he takes a bite of food.

Lauren giggles when she sees Camila dropping dramatically the slice of pizza she just grabbed to the table as she opens widely her mouth. "What does that even mean?"

"It means what it means," Jerry says shrugging his shoulders nonchalantly.

"No, but seriously, tell me," Camila says, forgetting the slice of pizza that she dropped and giving all her attention to the man in front of her. "Am I too obvious?"

Jerry shakes his head, cleaning the corners of his mouth with a napkin before he looks at Camila pointedly. "I remember this one afternoon when you and Ally were talking about boys after classes and you were not interested at all," he shares with the group, turning his head to look at each one of the girls. "And you kept looking at a magazine in the kitchen while Ally was babbling and babbling about Troy..."

"Dad!"

"And she was like..."

"Oh my god," Ally shakes her head hiding her face in her hands, making Lauren hold back an amused giggle in response.

"'I love how tall he is, and his muscles and abs...'" Jerry says impersonating as best as he could his daughter's voice. "And you were like 'ah yeah, muscles'," he adds in a bored voice that Lauren assumes it is to imitate Camila's attitude back then. "And when I realized that you could possibly like girls was when you said 'girls also have muscles and abs, did you know that?'"

"I didn't say that," Camila says defensively, crossing her arms over her chest. Lauren reaches for the slice of pizza that her girlfriend completely forgot about but she managed to just touch it when Camila slaps her hand away. Hard.

She should have known better.

"Yeah, You did. I remember," Ally chimes in, still blushing from the previous story that her dad was telling.