Chapter XXXIII, Making Things Clear.

a/n: i'm completely aware that this update has taken long, so i wrote a one-shot called Kisses on Cheek for you as an apology 🙈 also, important information at the end(:

•••

Usually, Lauren is quick to react to any given situation. Like, there are times where even she gets surprised by how fast her mind works and how without even knowing, she has created a perfect solution or has figured out the perfect plan for a problem.

Lauren is low-key proud to be this way because the small moment when she gets all panicky, passes quickly and her brain is already taking care of the situation.

Sometimes, though, she trusts her excellent skills way too much.

As soon as Camila's words leave her mouth, Lauren is greeted with a pair of brown eyes that represent perfectly the effects of a panic attack.

Now, Lauren has never really seen somebody having a panic attack right in front of her eyes but she is familiar with the feeling. So when she sees Camila's eyes widening and suddenly she is fighting for air, something quickly clicks in Lauren's brain.

Camila's breathing gets heavier and shallow and Lauren swears she gets frozen by the image she has in front of her. Her mind is screaming at her to do and tell something to Camila, to calm her down, to maybe hold her, to tell her that everything will be okay, but every command her brain gives to her body is quickly dismissed and forgotten.

Lauren can feel Dinah's brown eyes burning holes right between her eyebrows and she is pretty sure that the Polynesian is waiting for her to do what she should be doing, but the green-eyed girl can't look away from her girlfriend as the smaller girl continues to gasp for air.

"Okay, Mila," Dinah says in a soft voice, getting closer to Camila but being careful enough to not touch her. "Can you come here with me, please?" she inquiries using the same soothing voice than before, expectantly waiting for Camila's reply.

Camila turns to find Dinah's kind eyes and after a second or two, she nods her head ever so slightly, making the taller girl let out a relieved sigh. The Polynesian leads the way to one of the couches and leaves Lauren by herself in the middle of the living room.

Lauren watches as Dinah sits down on the couch, followed by Camila who is still struggling to find her breathing. "Can you speak?" Dinah asks the girl, raising her eyebrows as she watches attentively the way Camila is trying to calm herself.

Camila mumbles something that Lauren barely hears and so she assumes that in fact, her girlfriend can't really say a word right now.

"Alright, I need you to focus on something, Mila, anything that comes to your mind, okay?" Dinah says gently, maintaining the space between herself and Camila.

Lauren watches the way Camila's eyes begin to travel quickly from every single piece of furniture that is in the living room until she meets her eyes. She tries to ignore the painful tug in her heart once she sees that the expression in Camila's eyes hasn't changed that much since she last spoke.

But something must have been off in Lauren because instead of making Camila calm just by holding her gaze, Camila's breathing pattern gets even heavier than before and she is now surely hyperventilating.

"Mila," Dinah calls her in a firmer yet even voice, demanding Camila's attention. "Look at me," the girl says, meeting Camila's eyes almost immediately. "Count with me," she instructs calmly as Lauren watches everything unfold from her place. "One," Dinah begins tentatively, encouraging Camila to do the same.

"O-one," Camila repeats after a couple of seconds, not leaving Dinah's eyes as she tries to follow her lead.

"Two," Dinah continues, giving Camila a small smile when she repeats the same number.