Back At Home

Sang

It only takes a few minutes of driving and I'm back at my grandparents'.

My grandfather comes out to meet us as we all get out of the car.

"Back before ten," he observes.

Silas smiles. "She was getting sleepy, so we decided to bring her home."

My grandfather nods his approval. He looks like he's considering something.

"I've been meaning to talk to you boys," he starts. "The roof of my barn needs to be repaired before snow hits." He scratches his jaw, "Mary said she would make a big dinner and I could pay you boys too if you'd be willing to help me out."

I look at the old barn. It doesn't house animals in it anymore. My grandfather keeps his tools and a couple tractors in there. It's his place, my grandmother told me, that he likes to tinker around in and keep himself busy.

"We'd be happy to help," Victor says. "When did you want to do it?"

"I was hoping Saturday afternoon. I just have to go to town and get the supplies."

"Saturday would be fine." Silas grins. "A few of us will be working at the diner but everyone else will be available."

"I appreciate it." My grandfather kicks the toe of his boot into the dirt drive. "Mary's feathers got all ruffled when I told her I was doing it myself. She started going on about how I'm not a young man anymore, that I'm seventy-two and shouldn't be climbing up on roofs."

He frowns at us. "Don't get old kids, it's a terrible thing."

I smile at my grandfather.

I've seen pictures of him around the house as a young man. He was handsome and tall. Similar to North, but minus the whole shifter thing. He's still a tall and handsome man with white and gray hair that's remained thick and a weathered face. But I know his arthritis bothers him and he has a slight limp from an old war wound that he was honorably discharged for.

"We'll try not to Mr. Holden." Silas smiles and winks at me.

"We better get going," Victor says. "We'll see you at school tomorrow, Sang."

"See you."

Victor pauses, getting in his car, "Would you like us to give you a ride, since we drive by your place anyway?"

I look at my grandfather and notice he seems disappointed. I think he wants to be the one to take me to school.

"Thank you, but my grandfather is going to give me a ride until I get my own car," I answer. Is that what he wants?

He smiles at me. "I was thinking of taking you to Jed's after school tomorrow to see what he has, but I'm happy to bring you in the morning."

I smile back. He did want to take me.

"Alright then, we'll see you in the morning, Sang."

"Goodnight."

They get in the car and drive away.

My grandfather and I walk up the steps. "Did they behave themselves while you were there?"

"Yes, Grandpa."

"I expected so but wanted to be sure."

He holds the door open for me and I enter the cozy kitchen. My mother and grandmother are there having tea.

"Did you have a good time?" Mom asks.

"I did, they are really nice."

"They'll be coming on Saturday to help me with the roof," Grandpa says.

"See," Grandma smiles, "all you had to do was ask. I knew they would help you. They're good boys."

My grandpa grumbles something as he gives her a peck on the cheek and heads to his worn leather chair by the fire in the living room.

"I'm going to bed," I announce. "Good night."

"Goodnight, Sang."

"Goodnight, dear."

"Night."

I run up the stairs and shut the door to my room. Once I'm inside I just stand there. I haven't been alone yet since my world turned upside down for the second time in my life.

Shifters.

Guys that turn into wolves.

It doesn't bother or scare me, I want to learn more about it. I want to see them when they're all wolves.

I go to my window and open it, listening. Will I hear them again? It must have been them I heard last night. I wait patiently and am rewarded, when after a few minutes, I hear two wolves howl. A moment later several howl farther away.

I smile. They're out there as wolves right now.

What do they do?

What do they all look like?

I bite my lip and play with my necklace, thinking. Maybe I can convince one of them to show me.