Meanwhile, Back At The Ranch

Luke

I can't stop staring at Sang's grandfather.

It's like I'm looking at North when he's three hundred and seventy something.

He can curse like a sailor when he's upset too. He paces back and forth in the living room clenching his fists, his limp getting worse with each pass as his temper rises.

"So you're telling me that she cured this boy's illness and his father beat her for it?!" His face is dangerously red.

"Al, calm down a little please." Mrs. Holden tries to sooth him, although looking very unhappy herself.

Uncle sighs. "As I mentioned, it wasn't as simple as that. He thought her wolf had killed him."

June purses her lips, "Sang would never hurt anyone, and neither would her wolf. I know it. And, and now she could be lost out there!" She gestures out the window to the forest.

Kota dares to speak, "The others will find her, I assure you."

Mr. Holden marches to the coat rack and grabs his jacket. "I know these woods better than anyone, even you shifters. I'm not going to sit here and wait. I'm going after her."

June rushes to join to her father and puts on her coat, "I'm coming with you Dad."

Mr. Holden strides over to the gun case and takes out two of his rifles, handing one to June.

I raise my brows. Holy hell...

"What are you doing with those?" Uncle asks warily.

She rests it over her dainty shoulder. "You mentioned that other pack may return. I'll be damned if they hurt my daughter again... Or anyone else." She narrows her pretty eyes. "And now I know how to shoot so a shifter stays down."

With that, she follows Mr. Holden out the door.

Uncle runs his hands through his hair. "Sweet Jesus, what a mess." He turns to Kota and me. "Luke, you stay here with Mary, Kota, let's go."

They quickly leave and I shut the door behind them.

Mrs. Holden crosses her arms, "Al will find her," she says confidently. "They'll be hungry when they return too. Help me get food ready for them."

I follow her to the kitchen.

For Ethan's sake, I hope he doesn't run into them. Not before she's found.

Ethan

I run into Gabe, Victor and Nathan on my way back to the house.

We all quickly shift.

Before they can speak, I tell them, "She's been found."

"Is she okay?" Nathan asks. Still breathing hard from his wolf running.

"She's worn herself right out from using her ability and shifting. Owen and North brought her to the cave, it was close by. They'll bring her back once she's rested."

"Should we go to the cave?" Victor's already turned in that direction.

I shake my head. "We'll see them at the house."

Nathan nods. "I want to do another sweep. You know those s***heads will be coming for her."

He's right. Now that they know about her, they won't let her go. If I wasn't mated and so in love with Holly, the wolf in me would want to claim her too.

"I'll go with you," Victor tells him.

I turn to Gabe. "You can come with me and we'll let everyone know.

We separate and Gabe and I head for the house.

Gabe

Man. Ethan's wolf is fast.

As we round the house, we shift and run up the porch steps. Silas is already there, having detected our arrival. He tosses us each some jeans and a shirt. "Did you find her?"

Ethan nods and tells him what he already told Victor, Nathan and me as we dress.

"Finn?" he asks when he's done.

Silas relaxes. "He's the same. Sean's making him stay in bed and he's not too happy about it. He wants to try out his new and improved body."

I grin. "Can't blame him."

I mean, s***. He could have been dead by now if it wasn't for Sang. He was so f***ing weak.

"I'll call Uncle and give him an update," I tell them.

We turn to head in the house when Mr. Holden's truck comes careening up the drive. He slams on the brake and puts it in park. Uncle follows behind in his car with Kota. What the hell's going on?

Sang's Mom and Grandpa jump out, each carrying a rifle. Uncle and Kota come rushing up behind them.

Mr. Holden's eyes are set on Ethan. A furious look on his face as he storms over. I know Ethan sees it, and sense him stiffen next to me.

"Is this the b*****d?" Mr. Holden growls, pointing at Ethan. He looks like a pissed off Clint Eastwood coming our way.

S***.

Al

I don't remember the last time I was this furious. Probably fifty years ago when another b****** touched my soon to be wife.

I have a temper myself, but I've never laid a hand on a woman before. No matter how angry.

"Is this the b******?" I grit.

We came here to see where Sang took off from. Then I see this stranger and my gut tells me, it's him.

I watch the young man stand to his full height. Heh. You won't intimidate me shifter.

I force my old bones to straighten and stand tall myself, looking him in his black eyes. "Did you hit my granddaughter?" I raise my rifle.

His lips thin. "Yes."

I hear June's rifle cock next to me. "I should shoot you."

My heart swells with pride. She's sweet like her mother but fierce when needed.

Ethan raises his hands in surrender. "I wouldn't blame you."

I sense some of the bluster leave June, but she keeps the rifle steady.

The door opens behind them and Sean comes out. His eyebrows raise at the scene. "What's going on?"

Kota and Joe come up on either side of June and me.

"They know he hit Sang," Joe informs.

The big boy, Silas, steps forward, "Did you know he found her?"

At his words, my own bluster slightly fades and sweet relief takes over. "Where is she?" I demand.

"She's with Owen and North resting at a cave where we camp, several miles away," Gabe answers. "I was about to call and let you know. She'll be okay and they'll keep her safe. They'll be back in a couple hours. I-"

The screen door flings open and a young woman comes bursting out. "Ethan!"

"Holly, stay there!" he yells, never taking his eyes off June and me.

The woman, Holly, grabs at Sean, while looking at Ethan, "It's Finn! Something's happening!"

She and Sean immediately go back in, Silas hurrying after them.

"I'm going in," Ethan tells us, dropping his hands and running inside the house.

Gabe looks torn, but follows.

June and I lower our rifles.

"Damn it. What now?" Joe mutters next to me.