Powerful

Finn's parents and the guys all come rushing out of the house, running toward us.

I start to panic. What happened?

Holly stops at Finn's side and the others all form a circle around us, backs to us and on the alert. We stare at them wide eyed.

"What is it?" I ask.

"We felt a... force. A strong electrical charge from out here," Owen says, his voice low and his eyes combing our surroundings. "A very powerful shifter is nearby. We've never felt anything like it."

I glance at Finn to find him staring at me, his lips pursed. He obviously thinks it was me they felt. I'm a powerful shifter? I don't want to be. I stare at the green grass.

"Are you okay, sweetheart?" Holly combs her fingers through his hair.

"I'm fine... um... I think it was Sang... "

Ethan turns toward us, the others following suit, but still looking around. "What do you mean?"

Finn points his hand to the ground.

I can sense them all looking at the grass in confusion.

"Holy s***. You did that?" Ethan asks.

Everyone starts talking at once.

I nod and bite my lip. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

"You're like Ellasanglyn," Kota states.

"Seems that way," I reply.

"She tried it on me too, but it didn't work." Finn whispers.

"You what?!"

I look up at a shocked and furious Ethan. "I thought maybe... "

"No, you didn't think. He is weak and fragile. For all you know you could have... " his voice trails off.

"I'm sorry," I repeat.

"Sang, having an ability is a powerful thing. You have to be careful with it." Owen crosses his arms. "It could have gone badly."

I already feel rotten enough, why are they berating me? My wolf is getting angry. I'm irritated.

"I was hoping I could cure Finn."

"If you're like your grandmother, you don't have that ability." Sean softly states. "No one has."

"I think you should stay away from Finn until you have it under control," Ethan says.

"No, Dad! I asked her to try! Please!" His outburst causes a brief coughing fit. Holly rubs his back as Ethan glares at me.

I know he's under a lot of stress and worried I might have killed his son, but the look he gives me crushes me. This may be the last time I get to spend with Finn. He could die today...

My wolf pushes at me. She wants out. I push her back. Now's not the time and I can feel her anger for me, for Finn. She's grown attached to him, observing from inside me. Finn starts quietly crying and my wolf pushes again with a force I'm unprepared for.

The sounds of my clothes shredding and everyone's gasp of surprise fill my ears.

Her ears.

I yell at her in my mind. Why are you doing this?! You've made things a thousand times worse. Showing I don't have complete control over you.

She tries to send me a feeling of reassurance. I ignore it, filled with despair instead.

She plants her feet in front of Finn and growls at Ethan.

Great.

A deep growl comes out of his chest and his eyes turn black in response.

Owen puts a hand on his shoulder. "She won't hurt Finn."

"Why did she shift?" he grits, his eyes never leaving ours.

"I don't know."

My wolf looks around at everyone then turns to face Finn.

He grins at us, his tears subsiding, "You're pretty."

She licks his face. Ethan steps closer.

She looks over her shoulder at the very tense father. He's ready to pounce any moment. She looks at Holly who's only watching her son, her eyes sad.

Finn reaches up to pat our head.

I feel that spark light again and our eyes warm as the feeling spreads through my wolf's body.

"Whoa." Finn smiles at us.

Holly looks over and gasps.

"What is it?" Ethan demands. They all come closer to look at us.

"Her... her eyes are glowing," she whispers.

"Get away from him!" Ethan demands.

She ignores him and focuses on Finn's outstretched hand. I realize what she's about to do, but to my mortification I don't have the time to stop her.

She bites him.