Hope

Finn

I can't believe it.

She did it. She cured me. For real!

I feel so good I want to cry, but Mom will think something's wrong and start crying again too.

She won't stop patting me and staring at me.

I give her a big smile and look at the door dad shut on Sang. Why did he do that?

"Finn, I'm just going to have a look at your eyes. Okay?" Sean gives me a tight smile.

What's wrong? Something's wrong. Looking around the room I notice they all look a bit concerned. Wait, is something else wrong with me? But I feel so incredible. I start to panic, my strong heart pounding.

Dad strokes my back. "It's okay, Finn. Sean just wants to check you over."

Sean shines a light at my eyes and Joe comes in at the same time. "Sang just told me what happened."

Sean puts the light down and continues to stare at me.

"Oh, you mean how she bit my son?" Dad grits.

Joe gives him a 'don't mess with me look.' He's never been afraid of shifters. "She told me that and what it did to Finn."

Sean gets up from the bed. "What did she say?"

"Her wolf told her what the bite did." He swallows. Uh oh. What else did it do?

"She cured Finn. He's no longer sick."

Mom squeezes my hand tighter and gasps. "He, he's all better? But what about... ?"

What about what? What aren't they telling me?

"Why don't we go outside and talk with Sang?" Joe turns back to the door.

"No!" I jump off the bed, getting everyone's attention. Holy crap. I've never moved like that in my life. Dad reaches for me and I shake his arm off. That's when I notice. I don't only feel good... my, my arm, arms... look awesome! They're not all pale and gross and wimpy anymore. My eyes burn with tears again. They're healthy and... I push up my sleeve, even a bit muscular! I rush over to the mirror above the bureau and Silas tries to stop me. I duck under his arm and make it anyway...

Mom and Dad come up behind me in the mirror, but I'm focused on myself. I look different. I'm still me, but a much better looking one. My face is healthy. Not pasty and all bony. Even my hair looks... good. I guess. It's my eyes that I focus on though. They're no longer a pale blue but... black! I lean forward to get a better look. I see eyes like this all the time. From my dad and the guys...

Dad puts his hands on my shoulders. "It's okay, Finn. You're going to be okay. You're-"

"A shifter." I don't think he was going to say that, but I finish his sentence anyway.

Holy crap. I know I'm right. I can feel it.

I grin.

Ethan

I stare at my boy in the mirror.

A big, beautiful grin grows on his face.

"What did you say?" I whisper.

He turns around and looks up at me with his inky black eyes. "A shifter," he repeats. I subconsciously notice how much stronger his voice is.

"Son, she can't turn you into-"

"She can."

I look up at Joe. He lets out a deep breath. "Sang just told me. She said you all were trying to figure out what was going on with him" He nods to Finn. "She said that when her wolf bit him, it turned him into a shifter."

I spin on Sean. "Is that possible?"

He's at a loss for words.

"It's true, Dad. I can feel it. My wolf is in there." He lays his hand just below his chest. "Plus my eyes. They look just like yours do when you get upset or shift or sometimes when you look at Mom."

At the mention of her, I look at my wife. She's stunned. Her pretty lips are parted and her eyes are misty.

"It makes sense," Sean finally says. "If a shifter has an ailment before his awakening, it's cured after. That seems to be what's happened to Finn."

I run a hand through my hair. "But he didn't go through an awakening. He just was unconscious for what? Twenty minutes maybe? And he hasn't shifted."

His small hand grabs mine and I look down again at Finn's. "Dad, I'm all better. Really." He focuses on me and that's when I start to feel it. I force myself to calm down and give in to my senses. It's there. The electricity. It's not as strong as the others or mine, but it's there. It almost feels... young. Like him. If this is true, he's the youngest shifter ever.

And it hits me.

He won't die today. Or tomorrow.

He'll live for hundreds of years.

Healthy and strong. Doing things we never dreamed he'd be able to do.

He'll grow up...

I pull him to me and hug him, without worry of hurting him, then let go and quickly leave the room. I walk out the house and toward the barn, around the back. I lean my back against the rough wall and lay my head against it.

Something I've held in for ten years breaks free and my shoulders begin to shake. I cover my face and slide down until I'm sitting on the ground. Years of worry and fear and anger begin their release and guttural sobs come out...

My son's going to live.

Joe

We all watch in silence as Ethan leaves the room.

"What's wrong with Dad?" Finn asks Holly.

She smiles at him tenderly, stroking his hair. "He just needs a moment."

I can't imagine what the man must be feeling right now. If I'd been told Luke would be taken from me within a couple days, and then learned he's suddenly going to live...

I look at my nephews and the other boys, grateful to know they have very long lives ahead of them.

Sean breaks the heavy silence. "I want to keep Finn under observation for now. We don't know what changes will come about when he shifts."

"I'll stay with him," Silas says. He grins at Finn and crosses his arms, "I have a feeling we're going to have to keep the pup in line."

Gabe chuckles, "Especially if he's anything like Sang."

"We need to talk with her and see what more she knows about this." Owen says.

Nathan heads out the room,"I'll get her."

"She was obviously upset when I saw her," I tell Owen. "She's been through a lot herself," I remind.

He nods. "How's her family?"

"They're adjusting and they miss her being home. June's proved herself to be a strong woman."

I notice the hint of a smile on his face at my statement. I know what he's thinking and I won't deny it if asked.

I brace myself for the question but Nathan comes running back in the room holding what looks like Sang's clothes. "She's gone."

We all step toward him.

"What do you mean 'she's gone?' " Owen demands.

"I found her clothes on the east side of the house." Nathan looks panicked.

"Damn it! One of us should have gone out with her," North growls.

Owen doesn't waste time and gives orders.

"Sean and Silas, stay with Finn and Holly." They look torn, but agree.

"Kota and Luke, go straight to the Holden's with Uncle in case she went there." S***. What am I going to say to June if she's not?

"Nathan, Victor and Gabe, we're overdue for a perimeter sweep." S***. What if Cole and Levi are back?

"North, you're with me." With that we hurry out.

Please let her be okay.