Recovery

Sang

As Cole takes his father away, Levi's wolf tries to go after them.

North, Owen, Luke and Sean stop him. He growls and turns, looking for help from his pack, but it's no use.

They're gone.

Only Silas, Victor, Nathan, Kota, and Gabriel's wolves are in the yard. Joe and Grandpa walk over. "They ran off," Joe says, answering my unasked question. Grandpa nods, "When they saw what Finn could do, and Cole drag his father away, they scattered. I don't think they're coming back."

So it's over?

I don't feel the relief I would expect. Our eyes go to Ethan's body, lying twenty feet away. Joe and Grandpa follow our gaze and walk over to him. Joe takes off his coat and covers his naked body.

"I'll get a blanket," Grandpa says, his voice thick with emotion.

My wolf looks at the house where Finn and Holly are inside and whimpers as we slowly walk to the house, the others joining those surrounding Levi.

I don't look back.

I never want to see Levi again and know without a doubt, I'll never have to.

We enter the house as Grandpa holds the door open for us, then goes to get a blanket for Ethan.

My wolf quickly climbs the stairs to my bedroom and I shift. I stand there for a moment, next to my bed, trying to remember what I wanted to do. Clothes. I need clothes.

I grab some sweats, a t-shirt and underwear from my dresser then go to my bathroom. I look in the mirror and barely recognize the girl looking back at me.

She's... hardened, older almost. Her innocence is gone.

I killed a man. A shifter. Actually two including the one Luke and I did together.

It was necessary. It was in self defense. I'd be dead if I hadn't.

I don't feel remorse, I don't feel satisfaction. I feel... numb.

I quickly put the clothes on and wash my hands, needing to feel clean somewhere, then run down the stairs.

Holly's rocking Finn, wrapped in one of Grandma's afghans, on the couch, his face buried in her neck, as his back shakes with his crying. He looks so small in that moment, so vulnerable, so lost. More so than when he was sick.

Mom has an arm wrapped around Holly, her face wet with tears. Grandma quietly sits nearby, crying for them, too.

Tears stream down my face. I don't know what to do. It's my fault Ethan's dead. He died trying to defend me, keep me from being taken.

He loved his family fiercely and now he's gone. Never to hold them again, tease and kiss Holly, look at Finn with pride.

Holly's rubbing his back in a circular motion, cooing soothing words to him, when she looks up and locks eyes with me.

I hold my breath, ready to see the hate in them, but it never comes.

They're filled with grief and loss, but not hate.

I walk over, her gaze following me, and sit on the couch next to them. A sob escapes and she bites her lip, trying to hold back the rest.

I have no words to say. Nothing can make this any easier for them. So I wrap my arms around them both as much as possible, sending soothing electricity, giving comfort the best I can in this moment.

Finn shudders with contentment as he continues to quietly cry and I hear Holly gasp. Her voice chokes as she closes her eyes and whispers, "Ethan used to do that," and lets out a soft sigh.