Letting Go

Gabe

I'm going crazy with the waiting.

Not to rush them. This is a day of f***ing revelations for her family, but we need to attend to Sang.

After her shocking pronouncement to them, we exited the house. Owen's orders. Now he and Sean and Uncle are the only ones in there easing her family into our world.

F****** Levi. I'd like to rip his throat out. I guess Silas almost did. Just a little more time with the b****** and he would have done it, but his focus was on getting to Sang. Can't blame him.

What a s***ty dilemma. We now have the one and only female shifter who's awakening has been prematurely triggered on our hands and a rebel pack on our asses.

Fan-f***ing-tastic.

Owen

I've explained everything to them and now wait for their reaction. June's on the couch stroking an unconscious Sang's hair. They covered her with a blanket, fortunately. I don't think I could have withstood seeing her in her bra much longer. Al's standing with his arms crossed and a sad frown on his weathered face as he stares at the floor. Mary's in the recliner, twisting her aged fingers, watching her daughter.

The shocked silence is ended with a quiet sob. I look over at June. Her head is hung and she wipes her face with one hand while the other remains in contact with Sang.

Uncle clears his throat. "This is a lot to learn and take in. Right now though, we need to focus on Sang."

June silently nods her head. "What do we do?"

I let Uncle tell her.

"You won't like it, but the boys should take her back to our place to watch over her."

June snaps her head up to protest but Uncle stops her, holding up a hand.

"I know. You want to be with her. You shouldn't though. You'll get hurt June. You all could... Once her awakening is over, you'll be able to see her. I can't be there either, it's too dangerous... for a human."

"But she's my daughter... "

Uncle goes over to her and sits on the arm of the couch, putting a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "And she always will be... But if she was to accidentally hurt one of you, she'll carry that burden the rest of her life."

She looks as Sean, "Her injury?"

He gives one of his gentle smiles, "It will heal completely once her awakening is finished."

She grimaces then takes a deep breath. "I feel so lost, so unsure about everything now... " June meets her father's gaze. "What do you think, Dad?"

He uncrosses his arms and clenches his fists, staring at Sang. "If her being with them during this... awakening, is best for her... then we need to do what's best."

His eyes lock on mine and his voice is low and threatening. "If any of you hurt her or take advantage of her in any way, so help me god, I will find a way to f***ing kill you all."

I don't break eye contact. "The throat," I say.

His brow furrows. "What?"

"If you create enough damage to a shifter's neck, the jugular, he won't recover from it in time and will die. Obviously, removing the head causes permanent damage too."

He continues to stare at me a moment then nods.

Mary speaks, "Will someone keep us updated on how she's doing?" The poor woman looks like she's about to fall over, but to her credit, she's remained strong.

"We will call with updates every two hours if you like."

They nod.

June continues to stroke Sang's hair and Mary gets up. "I'll pack some of her things for you to take." She goes up the stairs.

June whispers something, but her voice is so low that even I can't make out what she said.

"What was that?" I ask.

She looks at me with her pretty tear stained face. "Why didn't my husband tell me?" Her voice is barely over a whisper.

I wish I had the answer for her. "I don't know. Perhaps to protect you."

Her eyes return to her daughter's face. "I know he loved us... more than anything."

Whether she's saying it to convince us or herself, I'm unsure. I have no response.

We wait in silence until Mary comes back down with a small suitcase. "I packed her toiletries and changes of clothes." She purses her lips. "Who will be attending to those needs?"

Sean steps forward and holds out his hand for the suitcase. "I will Mary. I really am a doctor," he assures her.

The woman narrows her eyes, studying him. A part of me wants to laugh at the absurd picture of a sweet old woman staring down a shifter. To his credit, Sean doesn't either. Once she seems satisfied with whatever she sees, she hands it to him.

I walk over to the couch to take Sang.

June

Owen stands in front of me, ready to take her.

I don't want to let her go. She'll be going through something that must be frightening and I should be with her. But if she was to hurt me, as they indicate she could, I don't want her to live with the guilt. I lean over and kiss her forehead, my lips trembling. My baby...

I stand up and Mom gives her a kiss on her cheek, then dad gives her a kiss on the other. Owen tucks the blanket around her, cocooning her, and lifts her in his arms, cradled to his chest. His usual stony expression turns tender for a second as he examines her face.

In that moment, I feel my daughter metaphorically slip away from my arms and into another's. My heart breaks from the loneliness it brings.

Owen looks me in the eyes. "I promise you, she will be looked after and cared for. You'll see her in three days."

I wrap my arms around myself and feel my fathers hands on my shoulders, Mom slips an arm around my waist. Joe opens the door for them and Owen and Sean walk out with her. He gently shuts it behind them.

The motion is my undoing and my knees buckle as a keening cry escapes me and I collapse, my world doing the same.