A Challenge to Authority

Running.

It's so much fun as a wolf! We follow Owen who's in the lead with the others, racing across the field and through the forest. I notice we are always surrounded by them, protected. The air rushes past her face, blowing her coat. It feels good. The usual immediate exhaustion I would feel from running just a short distance isn't there even after several minutes, I'm sure she can go much faster too. I have no idea how much territory we've covered, but I imagine it's a lot.

We come to a stop at a small clearing by a stream, it's surrounded by brush and tall trees. To the north is a hill with several large boulders at the bottom of it. As we take in our surroundings, looking, listening, someone playfully bumps into her hip. She spins around and see's Kota's wolf, tail swaying side to side, watching for a reaction. He wants to play. I remember how he said his wolf is playful. Mine growls and snaps at him then happily lunges. He deftly steps to the side and she misses, rolling into the brush. She feels annoyed and excited, getting up to charge at him again when he's suddenly knocked over several feet by a flash of russet fur.

Kota's jumps up and looks in shock at Nathan's wolf who has a smug expression. He strides up to us and she playfully paws at his face. His mouth grabs her paw and he gently nips at it, not breaking the skin. A love bite. If she was a cat, she'd purr.

Kota's comes back and shoves at Nathan's and gives her a challenging look. She's up for the challenge and tries to tackle him again.

And misses.

She spars and plays with all the wolves, except for Owen's. Even North's get in on the action. She's unable to get the upper hand on any of them. Especially Silas' wolf. He's just so big. Every time she charges at him, he simply raises a massive paw and knocks her over.

I think they're training her to fight with this session of play. She's getting irritated and tired, though. By now they're all wrestling and play fighting with each other as Owen watches over us by the stream. It's her turn again with Nathan, but she wants to rest. She walks up to where Owen is to get a drink and lie down. He growls at her. He doesn't want her to rest, he wants her to keep going.

My wolf doesn't like him at the moment and chooses to ignore his growl, lying down. She's hot and irritated with her inability to fight. He ferociously snaps at her, causing her to jump to her feet. I start to worry and send thoughts of obedience, but she pushes them away.

Stubborn thing.

She moves as if to go back and Owen's wolf raises his chin in approval.

She then spins around and shoves into him with all her might, sending him into the stream.

For a moment I feel horror and pride. He was being a brute.

His wolf slowly raises itself to its feet, dripping wet. The others are completely quiet but she doesn't dare take her eyes from him, realizing how foolish she was. He bares his teeth and snarls as he steps onto the bank, looking furious, much as he did the other night when I spied on them.

I know there's only one option. To cower down and beg forgiveness.

She decides there's another...

... and runs.

She runs like the devil's on her tail.

And quite frankly, he is. When she spun around and bolted I vaguely noticed the shocked looks on the faces of the other wolves. Something tells me they don't push him or run away very often. If at all.

She crashes through the brush and books it. Where to, we have no clue. There obviously isn't any amount of reason in this decision. Just survival instinct, apparently. I can feel her panic and it combines with my own. Whatever her punishment is, I will automatically share in. So unfair. I told her to obey. She shoves feelings of annoyance at me. I shove them back.

She cuts and darts around trees, hoping to lose him. We can hear his thundering feet directly behind us. At least he's the only one after us. Even so, I'm positive we won't get away. She pushes herself faster.

Oh god. We're so dead...