Awakening

Hot. So hot.

Every joint, every muscle, feels like it's being poked with a hot iron. The heat reaches into my bones and wraps around my heart.

Someone help me, please! My eyelids are too heavy to open and I thrash around, moaning. I feel a coolness on my forehead.

"I know, Sang, I know. It'll pass. You'll get through this."

The smooth baritone is soothing and my senses cling to it like a lifeline. A hand takes mine and I feel a thumb rub between my own and my finger. I force my burning lids to open. Everything's hazy and it's hard to focus. A rough hand clasps my other one. I look over to see who it is and vaguely make out Nathan's face. Swinging my head the opposite way, I realize Victor is holding my other, caressing with his thumb. I look up at the unfamiliar ceiling and try to swallow. An arm slides under my shoulders and gently lifts me forward while a glass is pressed to my dry lips. I take a sip of the cool water, anxious for the relief it will bring to my throat. Only, no relief comes.

Slowly, I'm laid back down and tears run down my temples. The pain and heat is too intense to fight and I give in to it. Darkness cloaks me again.

Nathan

I lay her back on the pillow and see the tears run down. I try to think of soothing words to utter like Victor did but realize she's passed out. I feel a sense of relief in that. It's worse when you try to fight it. Her clothes and the sheets are completely soaked. The fever will continue for another day or so. It's only been two hours so far. It's dark out and Owen, Silas, Luke, Kota and Gabe have gone to make sure our territory hasn't been breached. The rest of us stayed to take care of Sang and guard the house if the other pack comes.

Victor puts the glass on the nightstand. "I feel so bad for her."

"I know. I wish I could take the pain away."

She moans in her sleep, her head tossing from side to side.

Sean comes in the room with a bundle of clothes and sheets. "I just gave her family an update."

"How are they?" Victor asks.

"As to be expected. Worried... frightened," Sean frowns, an unusual expression for him. "Luke told me where she hid the book so I told Uncle to give it to them to read. He's staying there and has closed the diner for the next week since we're all dealing with this."

He puts the bundle on the chair."I'm going to change her clothes and we need to change the sheets. Will you be able to assist me in a professional manner?"

We glare at him, "Of course."

He grins. "Good, because it will be difficult enough for me without keeping you two in line."

He pulls back the sheet, revealing her soaked shirt, the bra showing through. Her scent is already so much stronger and we all tense. Sean clears his throat. "Let's make quick work of it." I notice his eyes are black as well as Victor's. I'm positive mine are the same.

"Ready?" he asks.

Victor and I nod.

We completely remove the sheet from over her and Sean takes off her jeans and socks. Victor and I pull the shirt up off her and put her necklace on the little table. She continues to moan, but is mostly still.

"Nathan, hold her while Victor and I change the sheets."

I gently scoop her up. God her skin's so hot. Her head slumps against my shoulder. The feel of her in my arms, in only her underwear, is overwhelming. I try to focus on other things. The specks of dust in the lamp light coming off from the sheets, the owl hooting outside. Anything else.

Sean and Victor are quick. The dirty sheets are in a pile and I lay her back on the bed. Sean gets what looks like pajamas to put on her. "Take off her bra and put this top on." He tosses it at Victor. We look at each other a moment, deciding who will remove it. Victor gestures to me. S***. I slip my hand behind her back and realize the clasp isn't there. I look at the front of her bra and find it. My fingers shake as I unhook the clasp and her breasts are released. I tried not to look. Really. But, hell, I'm weak.

I've seen naked girls before, but she's in a class all her own.

"Stop ogling and hurry up." Sean's voice is strained and we look to see him straighten the clean panties he just put on her.

We're snapped from our worshipful adoration and finish the task. A clean sheet is laid on top of her and we all step back from the bed.

"Victor, tell North to come watch her now."

Victor quickly leaves and I give Sean a look, begging to go. He nods and I'm out the door.

I pass North rushing toward the room for his turn to watch her with Sean. He stops short and sniffs me. "Why is her scent all over you?"

I don't have time for this, I need to put space between myself and her, my wolf's getting restless. "I had to hold her while they changed the sheets." He glares at me. "Sean's waiting for you to help take care of her," I remind him.

He takes off.