A Fitting End

Cole

Over his screams we can hear Levi's wolf protesting.

We don't bother to deal with him, the others will.

My father twists and turns, yelling and swearing at us as we take him away. When he doesn't get a reaction, it turns to begging for his life.

I force my heart to harden more. Memories of his cruelty toward others, my mother, those I've seen him kill besides her, and apparently Sang's father, flash through my mind. Their screams and pleas for mercy that are ignored...

He's a monster.

Maybe I'm one too, but I've never killed in cold blood. I've cruelly intimidated humans and shifters. I've temporarily maimed shifters that were less than responsive to my demands. But kill them? No.

Once we're about a mile deep in the woods, my wolf releases him and he gets to his knees. Fear, an emotion I've never seen him wear before, is evident in his eyes. He knows he's a dead man.

My wolf looks at him blankly, which stirs his hatred for me once more.

"You stupid b***ard! You're nothing without me!" Spittle spews from his mouth, blood oozes from the cuts on his face that are no longer able to heal, the connection to his wolf having been severed. "I made you the alpha you are! You'd be weak and useless if I hadn't trained you! Nothing! How dare you turn on me!!"

He shaking he's so full of rage, his face purple and veins bulging in his neck.

He may kill himself with a heart attack before we even touch him.

I can't have that, his death will be our doing.

We take a step toward him. He swallows.

We take another, looking down at him, my wolf growling and both of us ready to get this done.

"Please," he whispers. "I... I love you."

That's the biggest lie he ever told.

And the last.