Wolf vs Mama Bear

I drive home as fast as I dare. Sang continues to moan in the back seat. I keep telling her she's going to be okay. I'm so confused and scared right now. The closest hospital is forty-five minutes away. I have to get her home and see how badly injured she is. Administer first aid, then take her to the hospital.

The tires slide on the gravel as I sharply turn into the driveway. I hit the brakes and turn off the engine, then notice my parents' car is here, too. Thank god. I blare the horn and jump out. Mom and Dad run onto the porch and down the steps.

"What is it?!" Dad yells.

"It's Sang! She was attacked by a wolf!"

He flings the back door open. "Sweet Jesus! Mary! Get the med-kit ready!"

He gently takes her out and lifts her in his still strong arms. I hold the front door open for him. Mom has the med-kit in the living room and we lay her on the couch.

"She was bit on the shoulder," I say.

We remove her jacket and sweater and shirt. Puncture wounds line her collarbone and are also on the back side. As we clean the wounds and apply gauze, I hear cars come down the drive. I jump up and look out the window to see Kota and Nathan get out of a car with Luke and Silas. Another car has Sean, Victor, North and Gabe. I run to the front door and lock it.

"Dad!"

He and Mom look over at me.

"Those boys, from down the road, they......they're not human."

My parents look at me like I've lost my mind. Someone knocks on the door and I jump. I don't have time to explain. My poor daughter. I brought her here because I had no choice but thought maybe it would be a good move. And look what's happened to her....

Those....things are out there, attacking her.

I rush to the gun case in the living room and grab a rifle, quickly loading it. My dad taught me how to shoot long ago.

"June?"

I glance at my aged parents and injured daughter. David's gone. It's my responsibility to protect my family.

I quickly open the front door, letting it hit against the wall, immediately cradling the gun to my shoulder and pointing it at Sean's chest. He puts his hands up and backs away to the edge of the porch. I kick the screen door open and step out, it slamming behind me. From the corner of my eye, I see another car pull up and Owen and Joe get out.

With a fierceness that even scares me, I growl. "I said to get away from us."

Sean's hands drop to his sides. He looks apologetic, and taking a step forward says, "I'm sorry, I can't do that."

I fire the gun.