Chapter 35

Ambers POV

"How much do you know about your past Amber?"

"I don't really know anything" uncertainty in my voice.

"Then let me inform you. When your mother found out she was pregnant with you, she was delighted at first. Until she remembered the curse-"

"Curse? What curse?" Annabeth intruded, cutting Artemis off.

"The Curse" Artemis replied, only emphasizing the words. Both Annabeth and I exchanged a confused glance. "You truly don't know? Oh for the love of the ancient lands, Persephone is always delaying what is coming. This story starts farther back, back to the ancient times.

Aphrodite and Persephone have feuded for century's. You would think they would be friends, because love and spring go together. But Persephone is also the goddess of youth. She grew up beautiful, prettier then even Aphrodite. And Aphrodite knew this, so she was glad when Persephone was taken by Hades. Then there was the dispute over Adonis, both ladies falling in love with the same man."

"Wait, if they hated each other so much why would Aphrodite choose to hide Adonis with Persephone?" I ask.

"Because, at first Persephone never hated Aphrodite. I suppose that is why she chose her, to make Persephone jealous."

"So what. Aphrodite has some beef with her and suddenly I'm cursed. I'm sure there are lots of people who are prettier then her" I jump in bitterly, thunder rumbled loudly in the distance.

"Careful with what you say."Artemis warned. "It is more then that, disputes between gods, they're more then what they seem. Most gods fights are fueled with their similarities rather then their differences."

"I still don't understand"

"A year ago us gods were fighting ourselves, our Roman and Greek counterparts each trying to gain control over a single dominate form. A lot of gods have overlapping powers, and domains, that is why we fight, for control over them. "

"So what were they really fighting over"?

"Womanhood. Persephone reassembles the more youthful, innocent, and joyous maiden aspect of a woman. While Aphrodite is more of the sexual, sophistication, and seduction aspect of a women. Polar opposites, yet completely similar, and vengeful goddesses. Aphrodite grew bitter, and finally she lashed out, she cursed Persephone, so her children could never have love."

"What? How is that even possible" I ask, mortified.

"See child, the curse can not stop you from finding love, that is impossible, but those you do love..... they will die. That is why you were sent specifically to Canada. It is out of some of the gods reach and still in some of the others. Even that family you were placed with was chosen to protect you."

"Are you telling me you left me with those, those, monsters on purpose." I asked, horrified.

"We had to be sure you wouldn't grow up loving them." Artemis explained, "It was the only way we could protect you. Everything your mother has done is to protect you."

I wanted to scoff at her words, from what I had witnessed the other day, my mother could care less about me.

"And Logan? Duncan? What about them."

"We could not control the mortals in your life" her voice showed great sorrow.

"So your telling me that you had nothing to do with them, what happened to them"?

"No, only you did"

"Wait! Are you telling me that because of this curse, because of me, Duncan..."My voice shook, and barely surpassed a whisper. Artemis only nodded, her cold eyes studying me. Tears brimmed at the tips of my eyes, I reached up and wiped them away.  "But why them? Why there?"