Chapter 40

(A/N: Starts off back on the bus but from Amber's P.O.V).

Amber's P.O.V

As soon as Nico and I found our seats on the bus, I rested my head on his shoulder and drifted off to sleep.

I opened my eyes and had to immediately close them due to the brightness of the room I was standing in. I tried to open my eyes slowly this time for them to adjust; when they did, I was amazed by what I saw.

I was standing in a vast rectangular room, the floor of which was decorated in large gold tiles. On the walls of the room were the most extravagant paintings I had ever seen. These masterpieces depicted griffins, lions, deer, mountains, and monsters in such intricate detail. The ceiling of the room was covered in smaller tiles, ranging in colours such as red, orange, and yellow. Glancing around the chamber reminded me of the feeling you get after staring at the sun for too long. There were four large columns centred around a hearth in the middle of the room. The fire in the hearth burned slowly, and a young servant girl was kneeling beside it, slowly stoking the flames.

Besides the girl, there were 5 people in the room; 4 on one side of the hearth, and 1 on the other. The four men on the left side dawned chitons but no shoes. Three of these men were in varying shades of red, while one, who appeared much older than the rest, wore a purple chiton, and a gold wreath braided into his hair.

The young man kneeling on the other side of the hearth was someone who, while I had never met them before, I would recognize anywhere. He was dressed in a brown chiton, with leather sandals. On his back, he wore the skin of a lion, its paws wrapped around his neck to keep it in place.

I waited for them to notice me and ask why I was here, something I was also asking myself. I knew this couldn't be real; that these people had been dead for centuries. Yet, here I stood, in this throne room.

"King Neleus, thank you for granting me an audience with you," spoke Hercules.

"You wish to speak with me young hero, then speak," commanded the man in the purple robes, whom I assumed was King Neleus. He was the oldest person in the room, his white beard hung stiffly on his chin as he scratched it. The king stood rigidly at the edge of the hearth, his expression cold. He didn't look at the girl but stared intently into the growing flames, he was clearly not pleased to be talking to Hercules.

"I seek absolution, your majesty; I have committed a terrible deed. However, I have also performed other noble endeavour which far out this one small act of ... injustice," Hercules said. His voice reminded me of Franks; startlingly deep for someone so young, but confident.

"You come here, to this palace, insist upon an audience with the King, and you have brashness to demand absolution," cried a man standing behind King Neleues. He was the youngest of them all, and he had on a deep red chiton. His face was contorted in rage.

"Alastor!" yelled the king. He glanced over at the man. "You are a guest in this meeting boy, learn your place before I teach it to you. I have raised you better than to speak out of turn". Alastor glared at, who I presume is, his father, but took a step back to stand beside, who I also assumed were his brothers. The king turned back around to glare at Hercules.

"My son speaks out of turn, but his anger is not misguided. You have caused much pain and grief for my family, and my kingdom-" King Neleus was cut off by Hercules.

"But my king-"

"Do not Interpret me, boy; you may be a child of the gods, but I am still a king, you will show me respect! You ask me for absolution, but you show no remorse! I will never give you the absolution you desire. Eurytus was my friend, and you slaughter him and his sons like lambs. Over what, the affection of a girl? You trick Iphitus into betraying his own father, then throw him from the walls of Tiryns. No boy, you shall find no absolution within these walls. If I could, I would strike you down, right here," bellowed the king. His face was a mixture of rage and sadness as he spoke of his dead friends. There was a massive rumble of thunder heard after Neleus threatened to kill Hercules; however, neither seemed to care.