Chapter 43

Amber's P.O.V 

Standing knee-deep in mud, covered in Nico's blood, and sweating profusely was not how I pictured myself dying. If I'm honest, though, it wasn't exactly a shock. There was a scary moment while I was staring down 100+ skeleton warriors and the leucrotta, all rushing at me, where I thought about giving in. Not fighting and letting them kill me. If I had to die, at least I would die beside Nico.

Truthfully, I probably would have let them kill me if Nico wasn't moaning in pain behind me. If I died, that was one thing, but allowing Nico to was something else entirely. So as I glanced over my shoulder to Nico covered in mud and his own blood, with tear tracks still visible on his face, I realized that going down without a fight wasn't an option.

The army stopped about 20 feet in front of me, weapons at the ready. I re-drew my sword, dilitiriódis kissós  squared my shoulders, and took a steadying breath. Right now, my biggest asset is being in a forest, logically, that means my powers are strongest here. I had never really used my supposed powers, thinking back on my life I can remember times where I must have used them but had brushed it off, like when the grass wilted at my touch, my healing abilities when I was fighting Percy during capture the flag and the tree had wrapped around him.

I knew I could manipulate the plants, but actually consciously doing it was something else entirely.

Every demigod has their moment when they are in that life or death situation, and they suddenly save the day by locking into their hidden powers and doing something extraordinary. I mean, that's just another fact of demigod life, right? This had to be my moment, all I had to do was focus and unlock some super cool powers, easy enough.

I thought back to all the times I had, supposedly, used my powers, they all had one thing in common. My emotions had been out of control at the time, anger, fear, survival. All items that had helped me before. When I first found out I could travel through plants, it was out of desperation to stay alive.

"Give yourself up, child of spring, and I will make your death painless," called the Leucrotta.

"That's so cheesy," I mumble to myself.

I grant myself one more quick glance at Nico, he is as pale as a ghost. His lips have turned a light shade of blue, and his eyelids continuously flutter in an attempt to keep himself awake and aware. Nico has both his hands clamped down as tight as he can on his gaping side wound. The mud he is laying in has a red tint where his blood is mixing into it. That's definitely going to cause an infection.

The skeletal army takes a step forward, my mind goes blank in fear.

"Wait! Listen to me," I call out. "If you come any closer, I will kill you."

The Leuconota begins to laugh again, as high pitched, and just as creepy as the last time. "A desperate attempt to scare me, child, how pitiful. You are nothing, your head will hang on my master's wall, and I will -" Percy's voice haunts me.

"Dude, shut up," I tell him. " You're in my domain now, I lured you into a trap, can't you see. With one snap of my fingers, this forest will come to life and drag you down, drown you in the marsh."

Fear flashes across the Leucotta's face as it takes a look around. Then it's beady little eyes settle back on me, a grotesque smile spreading across its face.

"You're bluffing."

"Try me."

The Leucotta lunges.

I focus on the long weeds shooting out of the mud and will them to listen to my commands. I imagine them wrapping around the Leucotos hooves, and dragging it back. When I open my eyes, I'm greeted with the sight I had imagined, and much more.

The weeds are wrapped tightly around the hooves of the Leucotta and are pulling it into the mud. However, the sparti are now fighting off the trees—vines tethering themselves through their bones and pulling them apart. Tree branches take long swings and knock over warriors repeatedly; however, they still continue to reform.

"Wow," Nico mumbles from behind me. "I never knew you could do all that."

Before I was able to form a reply, I heard this sharp noise, like someone was trying to strangle a bird. It got louder and faster, and I realized that the sound was impacting the plants.

"Is that Britney Spears" I can't help but ask.

Somewhere off to my left, a great battle cry rings across the forest, and out of the bushes bursts a satyr, he had on a blue t-shirt, no pants, and no shoes. Pressed to his lips was reed pipes, and I realized that this Satyr was playing Britney Spears Toxic.

Behind the Satyr, rushing out of the bushes, was a small band of about 7 nymphs, all carrying a makeshift weapon. Following the Satyr's lead, the 8 of them ran right into the refinery of skeletons, who were still desperately trying to untangle themselves.

I had gotten so distracted by their entrance I had forgotten entirely about the Leucrotta. Who had slipped out of the weeds it was trapped in and was now lunging for my throat. Nico called out my name in warning, which was the only reason I had enough time to bring my sword up, cutting a deep gash into the monster's side. Just as quickly as it attacked the Leucotta retreated, tail swishing from side to bottom, back hunched over, ready to pounce again.

"Stay back," I yell out.

"Your time is over demigod, not even your father could save you now."

"My father?"

When the leucrotta lunges, I drop into the mud and roll towards it, causing the monster to leap over me. I thrust my sword up, jamming it into the underbelly of the beast, and slicing it in two—the leucrotta bursts into gold dust, which gently sprinkles across my face and body.

I glance over to where the army of undead soldiers should be, expecting to have to jump into battle, only to find there is no need. The Nymphs and the Satyr had managed to pull every last soldier apart, bone by bone, with the vines, and grass. Making it impossible for the soldiers to reform, they hadn't been destroyed, but they were undoubtedly incapacitated for the time being.

In fact, the Satyr was making his way over to us, a murderous glint in his eyes seemed to say give me what I want, or I'll choke you with vines. He was a tall satyr with curly brown hair, brown eyes, small horns, and a wispy beard.

"Where is he? '' demands the Satyr, his gaggle of nymphs forming a semicircle behind him.

"Who?" I ask, confused.

"Percy. I heard him talk to you, where is he? '' I probably would have been more concerned with the Satyr if Nico wasn't coughing up blood behind me. "Is that... Is hat Nico Di Angelo."

"You know Nico? As a matter of fact, you know Percy? Who are you." I demand, rising my sword to his chest.

"I'm Grover Underwood"