Chapter 6

"My friend with benefits and I have been having amazing sex lately. But I feel as though I dont know him well enough. Should I continue or get to know him first?" Zeena, 24, California.

I want to tell Zeena to get to know the man that she is hooking up with, but would that be hypocritical? I mean, Jake and I aren't having sex or anything but we are intimate with each other. Maybe I don't know Jake well enough to take our relationship further yet.

I started to type: you might find your sexual relationship stronger when you strengthen your social relationship. Talk to your partner and get to know them up to the point you want to. The sex will be even better after that.

Hell, who am I the one to talk. The last time I had sex was two years ago and it was within a terrible relationship. Was I right though?

For the past few weeks Jake and I have had fun touching and kissing but I feel like I barely know him still. We talk but I never get below the surface. He's always asking me questions.

In that moment I texted Jake.

'Do you want to go get some coffee or something?' I asked.

I was pleased with a fast reply.

'Sure, I'd love to. Give me a time and place and I'll be there.'

We met at the coffee shop right around the corner from my apartment building. Jake wasn't there so I ordered us both a coffee and sat at an empty table.

A few minutes later, Jake walked in.

Jake was wearing black jeans with a light grey t-shirt and a black jacket over that. He had some hair growing around his jawline now. He looked so good although it was just a minimilistic outfit.

"Hey beautiful," he greeted me.

I blushed a bit, and stood up to hug him. Jake kissed me on the cheek making me blush even more.

"Hey Jake, how are you?" I asked.

"I'm alright. More importantly, how are you?" he asked. Why did he always turn it back to me?

"I'm pretty good. I just missed you. I feel like we haven't talked in so long."

"It's been two days, Anna," he said in a petty tone.

"Yeah I know I just want to know more about you. Like your family or personal life, or what you're doing Friday night?"

Jake chuckled and it spread to me after. I looked down because my face was red from embarrassment. That was a pretty bad pick up line.

"I'm just kidding haha. No but seriosuly, how's it going? I missed you." I said. I really did miss Jake. Two days was enough without hearing his voice.

"Pretty good. I've just been tired lately from working," he responded. You could tell he was tired from the bags under his eyes.

"Tell me about it," I said. I just wanted to keep hearing his voice. It was so soothing.

"Well," he started, "I've been helping a woman learn to walk again. She was in a bad car accident that left her in a coma for a few days." he paused for a few seconds then started again. "I've just been helping her with exercises and being her aid for the past few days. It'll be a while until she can fully walk again."

"Wow, that's amazing. Do you like your job?" I asked.

"I mean, its alright. I would prefer a better one but its what I have and I am thankful for it. What about you? Where do you even work?" he asked me and scooted forward to lean his elbows on the table.

I ignored his question because a crowd of people walked into the coffee shop. It became very crowded and loud.

"Do you wanna come back to my place?" he asked.

I nodded and we both got up and put on our jackets. We were welcomed by the chilly breeze when we stepped outside. Jake took my hand and we began to walk to his apartment. The walk was beautiful because of the color changing leaves around us. New York city was covered in a canopy of red, orange and yellow.

Once we were at his apartment Jake took my jacket and put it on a coat rack by his door.

"So you never answered my question about your job..." he said gesturing me to talk.

"Well, I'm a writer. I write magazine columns, advice pages, stuff like that. Its not anything big."

"Ahh a writer, huh? Do you like to write romance?" he playfully asked as he leaned in to kiss me. I smiled into the kiss and put my hand on his cheek. We were sitting on the couch so Jake lightly pushed my down so I was now laying beneath him. His lips were so soft. We were making out at a moderate pace because each kiss was soft and passionate. It felt so sweet.

Jake placed his hand on my waist and ran it down to my thigh, placing it around his waist.

"How are you so perfect?" I whispered into the next kiss.

"I'm not, trust me," he said into the next one.

I hated doing it but I pulled away from the kiss.

"Jake," I started, "why would you be any less than perfect? You're always bringing yourself down and I can't watch it happen anymore. You're caring, smart, sweet..."

Jake interrupted me, "stop. You don't know my past. I'm not perfect, ok?"

Jake stood up and walked to the door.

"Sorry but can I just be left alone for now?" he grabbed my jacket and tossed it to me.

"Alright. I'm sorry if I said anything wrong." I almost felt embarrassed that I said anything, so I just ended it with, "have a nice night," and a kiss on the cheek

-----------------------------------------------------------

A bit of drama between Jake and Anna... Seems like Jake has a bit of a secret past that he's hiding... Stay tuned! ❤💛❤