Chapter 12

I woke up gasping for air. My throat felt like sandpaper and I needed water. I reached for the glass of water next to my bed... my bed. This wasn't my bed. I looked up to find myself in a hospital bed, my hands had needles in them and I was wearing a hospital gown. Why was I here and where was Jake? A nurse ran through the doorway with a look of surprise on her face.

     "She's awake! You're awake!" the nurse yelled with excitement. "Come on, drink your water, honey."

    "What the hell is going on?" I asked, confused, without drinking the water.

     She ignored my question. "Your boyfriend is going to be so happy when he sees you awake. He's been here everyday watching over you," she said. Jake was so sweet, I am so lucky.

     There was a knock on the wall and a man standing in the doorway. When I recognized him my face went from warm and happy to green and fearful. I thought I was going to be sick.

     "Sweetheart, you're awake," Adam snarled. He pulled up his shirt showing a gun in his waistband, signaling me not to protest.

     "I'll give you a few minutes to yourselves," the nurse said before leaving the room.

     "What the fuck are you doing here Adam? Didn't you get the hint that I want you out of my life?" I said angrily.

     "What are you talking about, babe? Before the crash you were all over me,"

     "Don't even try to trick me right now, Adam. I may be confused but I would never want to be back together with you," I said, "where's Jake?"

     "Who's Jake?" Adam asked. He looked genuinely confused.

     "You know, the guy who crashed into me."

     "He was only here once, the day of the crash, he hasn't been back since," Adam claimed.

     "No, that doesn't make sense. I went back home after the crash and he helped me with my recovery..." I shook my head and felt tears form in my eyes. What was happening?

     "Anna, you haven't left the hospital since your crash, you've been in a comma for 3 days."

     No. No, this can't be true. What Jake and I had was real. It had to be.

     Adam started again, "now, you'll be out of the hospital in a few days and you'll come home with me. The doctors already see me as a trustworthy boyfriend so you can't protest. If you do I'll blame it on confusion from the crash so don't even try."

     "I don't want to go home with you, Adam," I said. I was scared. I wish Jake were here so I could hide in his arms.

     Adam walked over to my bed and pulled a bag out of his coat pocket. He dumped a few pills out of the bag into his hand and gave them to me. When I didn't take them he pulled out his gun and pressed it to my hip. "Swallow," he demanded. I put them in my mouth and drank the water on my bedside table. I felt my eyelids grow heavy and my vision blur.

-----------------------------------------------------------

     WOAAAAH sorry for the huge plot twist. Did any of you see it coming? 💛❤💛