Chapter 14

*Jake's POV*

     Today is Natalies birthday and just the thought of visiting her parents is giving me a headache. I already know that conversation will consist of degrading my job and asking why I haven't proposed yet. To be honest with you, I wasn't about to propose anytime soon. I feel as though Natalie expects too much from me, money and affection wise. My job doesn't pay that well and she wants me to pay all of her bills and buy her nice jewelry. I just can't do it. I don't know how to bring up this topic without her yelling at me. I feel as though we need a break, but not today. It's her special day.

     Around 4:00 pm I picked up Natalie and we started our long car ride to her parents house. It was a little ways away outside of the city in a town called Port Chester. She seemed pissed when we got in the car, her face red.

     "What's wrong, baby?" I asked her.

She turned her head away from me and answered, "I guess I was just expecting a gift from you or something."

     Was she being serious?

     "Honey, you know I've been struggling with money lately. I thought going to your parents house would be enough,"

     "Yeah, its whatever. I just kind of expected something,"

     "Well maybe if you payed your bills with the money you make, I would have enough money to buy you something nice," I said. I was getting aggravated now.

     "Okay, Jake, its not a big deal anymore!" Natalie yelled, finally facing me.

     "No, it is a big deal. I'm tired of you expecting so much from me!"

     I didn't hear what Natalie said next. I was distracted by something I saw on the side of the road, a girl, just laying there on the side of the road. I swerved off the road and pulled over onto a patch of grass. Natalie was yelling something to me but I couldn't hear it. My curiosity deafened me. I got out of the car and ran along the side of the road over to the girl. She had a pool of blood under her and her eyes were closed.

    "Hey!" I yelled to the girl. No reply. I took her shoulders and gently turned her over so she was on her back. I noticed the gun shot wound right away on her hip. I took off my shirt to try and contain the blood for a while.

     "Natalie! Natalie, call 911!" I screamed to the car. I saw Natalie step out of the car and put her hand to her her mouth. She hurriedly called 911 while I lifted the girl up and ran to the car to place her in it. I know her from somewhere. Where have I seen her before?

     We couldn't wait for the ambulance so we broke the speed limit to rush to the hospital. Once we were there we sent her to the ER where she would be examined. Natalie insisted we left but I just couldn't leave her. I knew this girl from somewhere and I wasn't just going to leave her in a hospital in the middle of nowhere, especially after she'd been in a violent situation.  Natalie went to her parents house while I waited all night for any word about this mystery girl. Finally, around 10:00 pm I heard the words that filled the blanks in my head.

"Sir, Anna Konstinov is ready to see you."

     It was the girl from the car crash.

-----------------------------------------------------------

So you saw Jake's real life. Not quite as happy as he was with Anna... 💛❤💛