Chapter 18

*Anna's pov*

Solitude is a good thing most of the time, but not in this apartment. The dark curtains sheltered all of my memories from my dark past, the creaky floors made me feel like someone was always watching me and I never feel safe. Today I was going to look at an apartment Jake and I found in a catalog. The apartment was located closer to central New York City, unlike my apartment located in a shaggy part near Chinatown. Around noon Jake picked me up to go and visit this new apartment. He knocked on the door and waited for me to slowly open it, then he helped me down the stairs, carrying my crutches and half-carrying me.

"You're a nice girl, Anna. I still don't see how that asshole Adam got away with what he did," Jake said with a tint of rage in his voice once we were in the car.

"I would rather have him away from me even if it's not in jail rather than stalking me again. As long as he doesn't know where I am, I don't care where he is."

"I think this new apartment will be a nice change for you then. He won't find you here."

"Hopefully," I said wearily.

"Don't worry, he won't," Jake said, then took one hand off of the wheel and lay it across my hand, giving it a light squeeze.

Once we arrived at the apartment my mouth fell open with awe. The apartment was beautiful. The living room had warm chestnut floors with cream walls, the kitchen had all white cabinets with new appliances, and the bedroom was all white with windows letting a lot of light in.

"I love it," I said aloud.

Right then and there I signed the paperwork and began my new life in this apartment. Jake and I spent the rest of the day putting up flyers and ads on the internet to sell my old furniture so I could receive money to buy new decor.

"Oh my god, it's already 9:00," I said. We had spent the whole day putting advertisements up and it was already getting dark.

"Wow, time really does fly by. Hey, do you want to stay at my apartment tonight? I don't want you to sleep on the floor tonight, haha."

The offer was sweet because I had no furniture in my new place. "That would be great, thank you. I don't think I can stand another night in my old room," I said. I felt my spine grow tingly and my heartbeat excel. I shouldn't be getting flustered because it was just a nice gesture from him, it probably didn't mean anything.

"Alright, well let's just put these away then and we can leave. By the way, thanks for taking me along with you today, I had a lot of fun," Jake said.

"Yeah me too. You're great company,"

After putting away the flyers we quickly went back to my place so I can pick up some clothes for my overnight stay. I packed undergarments and cute shorts and a tank top to sleep in, and I packed some clothes for the next day. On the car ride to Jake's my heart wouldn't stop beating out of my chest, I was so excited!

"Alright this is it," Jake announced after a short drive. We had parked in front of a nice apartment in a pretty well kept area. It was hard to see, but it looked like there were flowers in his flower box and every thing was put together nicely.
We got out of the car and went inside to a clean and colorful apartment. There was artwork (not his) covering the walls and interesting home accessories filled his cabinets and desks.

"Damn, this is a really nice place, Jake," I said.

"Thanks, haha. I'm surprised you like it, it's not your typical apartment."

"No, I love it. The artwork is really cool."

"Yeah art is amazing, these paintings mean a lot to me. Here, follow me, I'll show you where you're sleeping," he said.

Jake walked me through the apartment, through the kitchen and living room, to his room in the very back. It was almost like the one I had imagined in my coma, simple and white. Everything in the room was white except for a large abstract painting above his bed frame. Jake took my bag and set it down near the bed.

"You can sleep here tonight and I'll be right in the living room if you need me,"

"Alright, I can't thank you enough, Jake," I said.

He started to walk out but I stopped him halfway through the doorway.

"Wait, Jake, can you maybe stay with me for a few more minutes?"

"Um, yeah sure," he replied with a light smile.

We both sat on the bed across from each other, very close.

"I just don't want to fall asleep alone," I said.

"Hey, I'll be here whenever you need me. How's your leg holding up?" he asked.

"It's alright, it hurts a bit from being up all day but it will calm down. Thanks for helping me put up the flyers today, I hope it wasn't too boring for you."

"No it wasn't, this was one of the best birthdays I've had in a long time."

"Holy shit, it's your birthday? Why didn't you tell me?" I asked. I was shocked, he never said anything.

"It's not a big deal, its just another day in my life that I happened to be born on," Jake said, laughing a tiny giggle.

"Sorry I didn't get you anything, I feel bad now. Is it too late to give you a small present?" I asked, the butterflies in my stomach flying faster and my heart beating rapidly.

"What do you mea-"

I cut Jake off with a light kiss on the lips. His face relaxed and we held it for a few seconds. When we both let go I looked down at the bed sheets and giggled.

"Happy birthday," I whispered and kept laughing.

"Uhhh thank you, I guess? Wow,"Jake said really shocked. He started to laugh too and then he got up and went to the living room after wishing me a goodnights sleep.

-----------------------------------------------------------

It took me soooo long to update my story but I hope it was worth it! Make sure to comment any opinions (good/or bad) or suggestions on here and I'll respond back as soon as I can 😊 💛❤💛