1. First Sight

My mother and I drove to the airport with the windows down

My mother and I drove to the airport with the windows down. The winds swooped in and graze my face making me feel like I was flying. It was eighty-five degrees in Phoenix. The sky was a light, cloudless blue. I was wearing a plain black t-shirt and light blue jeans shorts. I twirled one of my box braids around my finger.

I would miss this perfect weather. The weather in my new home, Forks, Washington would be very different. It would not be completely new. I was forced to visit for a month every summer until I turned fourteen. I got so tired of the constant clouds and rainy downpour that I made my dad, Charlie, vacation with me in California for two weeks instead.

Now I would have to learn to embrace the green scenery that was everywhere I looked. I sighed at the thought of bad hair days I have because of the stupid weather.

"Bella." My mother called out to me pulling me out of my thoughts. "I told you that you didn't have to go to Forks," she quoted as if she hadn't said it a thousand times already. My mom and I looked very much alike. We had the same brown skin and curly black hair. Hers was currently pulled into a low bun. She gave me a side-eyed glance as she waited for my response. "I want to go, mom," I lied smoothly. She had her beau, Phil. Surely he would take care of her and be there to laugh at her jokes.

"Then stop sighing like its the end of days, and tell your father I said hi." She obviously didn't believe me.

"I will."

"I'll see you soon. You can come home at any time. I mean it. At any moment notice you can come right back." She said with a gloomy expression.

"I will be just fine mom. I love you." I reassured. She pulled me in for a tight hug, and then I got on the plane, and she was gone.

The four-hour flight from Phoenix to Seattle went smoothly. Charlie greeted me with an awkward one-sided hug, like the ones you give in church. I didn't mind the hour-long drive to Forks. "Nice to see you, Bells," he greeted. "You haven't changed very much. How is Renee?"

"Mom is fine. It's great to see you too, Dad." He didn't like it when I called him Charlie.

"I found a good car for you, really cheap. I like cheap," he laughed just short of reaching over and patting himself on the back.

"What kind?" I asked suspiciously knowing that my dad sometimes put quality on the back burner for a good price.

"It's a Chevy truck."

"Where did you find it?" I asked trying to sound grateful.

"You remember Billy Black down at La Push?" La Push is a small native American reservation.

"Yeah sure do," I said sarcastically.

"You remember Bill. Fish fry Bill. He loves his fish. Eats it almost every day."

I shook my head in response. "Well, he is in a wheelchair now. He can't drive it anymore so he sold it to me." He said.

"What year is it?" I asked knowing already that it was ancient.