24. An Impasse

I woke to a steady beeping noise coming from my right. I tried to open my eyes but the light was too bright. I groaned in response. My limbs felt heavy and my mind was groggy, as if i were shaking off the remnants of a strong medicine. When I finally opened my eyes the first thing I noticed was the large cast on my leg. Memories of the event before came rushing back to me. I instantly tried to sit up. My heart began to race, but I felt a light touch from a cool hand on my arm. My eyes met Edward's, and he smiled slightly. 

      "I'm so sorry," I said. How could he be smiling after the hell I put him through. My eyes swelled up with tears, and I began to cry uncontrollably. I cried for much more than Edward. My sudden closeness to death was overwhelming. At any given time, a step further, or a second too late could have been the end of my life, and yet, I beat the odds, but I don't feel like a winner. So I should just chop it up to luck? Either way, there was still a vampire currently holding my hand, looking at me like I was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I was grateful for him.

"Don't apologize," he said, but how could I not. He held a thoughtful look in his light colored eyes. "And don't cry." He wiped my tears and I moved away from him. I didn't like crying in front of people. Though Edward was much more than just some person, I still didn't want him to see me looking this vulnerable. "What happed to James? Is he... is he dead?" I asked. Edward nodded in response. "He will never hurt you again." His reassurance was much needed. "I need to call my parents. I owe them an explanation," I said. The reality hit me very hard. To my parents, it would look like I pulled some teenage crisis scheme to run away. My poor dad is probably trying to figure out why I really left. There was no way I could actually tell them the truth. "I don't know what to tell them," I sighed. "They have an explanation," Edward spoke after a pause. "What?" I looked up at him. "You spoke to my parents?" 

      "Your mom is here. She is getting something to eat. We told her about your accident. You fell down two flights of stairs and through a window," he explained. I tried to wrap my head around the bogus lie.

"So... my mom. Believes that I fell down two flights of stairs and through a window?" He nodded. "My mom isn't going to believe that bullshit. She is not stupid. I've never been able to lie to her before." I sighed knowing that she wasn't going to let this go. "You may not be able to lie to her but, Alice and Jasper can. We're fine. She believes it." I shook my head "I'm not even that hurt, Edward, I just hurt my leg." He raised an eyebrow at me. "What?" I inquired. "You have a broken leg, four broken ribs, some cracks in your skull, and bruises all over your body. Not to mention the amount of blood you lost. The blood transfusion smelled horrid by the way."

    I looked at my arm that was covered in bruises. I hadn't noticed before now. I bet I look like a hot ass mess right now. "How does my hair look?" Edward smiled and stopped for a second, "Your mom is on her way back." He quickly moved back to the seat he originally sat in and pretended to sleep. I rolled my eyes at his acting.

My mom entered the room with Zaxby's. She knew it was my favorite. "Hey mom,"I said weakly. She walked quickly to the bed. "Hey baby, how are you feeling," she asked. I was so happy to see her, but she looked so worried that I couldn't help but to feel guilty. "I've been better, but at least you are here." I gave her a genuine smile. "Now since you are in the right frame of mind, it's time for interrogation," she began. "What the hell were you doing falling down some stairs and through a window, and then you left your father's house without permission? We don't do that Bella. Do you want my bed on this side or that side?" I gave her a confused look. "Well I mean if you pull some shit like that again, I'll have a heart attack and we can share a hospital room." I couldn't deal with her exaggeration. "Mom.." "On top of all that, you have a boyfriend?," she gestured to Edward. I wondered how he was keeping a straight face right now. "You could have called, texted, emailed, sent the note tied to a birds foot, but no. I had to find out when his sister and brother called my damn phone telling me my child, who ran away from home was hurt. Edward's family is lovely though but still. You hurt my feelings." She said. She reached over and handed me the Zaxbys bag. "But I'm happy that you are okay. Your hair looks a hot mess," she noted. I smiled " Thanks mom."

       I started to eat the food she brought me and Edward stirred from his fake nap. My mother had fallen into silence by watched the television. I cringed at a sudden pain on my side. "What's wrong?" Edward said. His voice was full of concern. My mother eyed him. She turned back to me and waited for my answer. "It's just my side. I'm okay," I said. "Florida will be a perfect place for you to relax and recover from your injuries. Phil signed to a team there. You have to see the house we bought it's amazing. It sits right on the beach." She waited for me to respond but I didn't want to upset her, but I had to tell her the truth. "I want to stay in Forks."

    "I have friends there. I've invested myself into that place. I can't leave," I said. "Are you sure its not just a certain ginger haired person?" She said as she crossed her arms. "His hair is not ginger, it's more like copper... anyway no. Edward is... important but it's the first time I've felt free. I love you mom but you hover and I appreciate it because you've shown me that I have a great support system with you, but Forks gave me independence. That place allowed me to start over and be free of all the things that weighed me down in Phenix, and honestly mom, I just like it there. Plus, dad doesn't have anyone. He needs me." My mom nodded in under standing. " Sounds like that place has done you some good. I'll be back soon. I need to grab some more things from the car. I've been sleeping here." She informed me. "Oh no mom you don't have to do that. Seriously, I know you aren't comfortable," I said with honest concern.
      She has back problems and that couch probably wasn't helping her out very much. " You're right. That damn thing is killing my back. I will come back in the morning." She said in warning tone as she looked between Edward and I. She gave me a kiss on the forehead and left.

** So. I know it's been forever but I'm back. Remember to vote, comment, and stay lit. - Tori**