13. Confessions

I woke up the next morning full of energy because today was Saturday. More importantly, this particular Saturday, I got to spend with Edward. I couldn't help but to dance around my room as I picked out my clothes and did my hair, while I listened to whatever came on Spotify. I finally decided on black leggings, a white tank top, and a distressed denim jacket.

When I felt decent, I grabbed my bag and headed to my truck. I hadn't drove it in forever. I got in and stuck the key in the ignition. A pale hand grabbed mine and I nearly jumped out of my skin. Edward's deep laughter filled my ears.

"What the fuck? What the hell did I tell you about that?" I yelled while he continued to laugh.

"You make it so easy. I'm sorry. I couldn't resist," he said while still laughing. I shook my head and started the car.

"Oh, I will get you back," I said with a smirk.

"Now what are we doing today?" I asked as I started my truck and pulled out of the drive way.

"Hiking." He stated. He looked as if he already knew I would protest. I stopped the car and looked at him.

"You want me to go hiking? Edward, that is at the very bottom of the "black people fun activities list," I stated.

"It will be fun. Plus, I have something to show you. Also, what is at the top of the list?" he laughed and ran his hand through his messy hair.

I started the car. At least I wore proper shoes. My old combat boots should be good enough. I realized I hadn't answered his question.

"I would say cookouts. There's free food, alcohol, and great music. Not to mention, the left over's always taste better. When it was hosted at my house, there were always left overs" I said reminiscing of our last cook out. It was just a couple of weeks before I left for Forks.

"It sounds, lovely. You miss it, don't you?" he asked

"Everyday." I stated.

"Would you go back? To stay, I mean," he asked while looking right at me but I kept my eyes on the road.

"No," I said after a couple of seconds. "I think I found something...or someone worth staying for."

I allowed myself to glance up at him. He had small smile, but didn't say anything. He gave me directions and ten minutes later we found ourselves at the beginning of a trail.

"This way," he called while pointing opposite of the trail.

"Um... you sure?" I asked. The last thing I wanted to do was get lost. I would be lost with Edward, which wasn't so bad, but lost in the end.

"I'm certain," he smiled reassuringly. I followed behind him away from the trail.

"My dad said the weather would be nice today." I thought out loud as I noticed the light color of the sky.

"Does he know where you are?" he asked.

"No, no one does," I said. He stopped and turned abruptly making me bump into him. I almost fell but he caught my hand and didn't let go.

"You came alone into the forest with me, Bella? You also didn't tell anyone?" he asked as if I were crazy. I knew the emphasis on the word me was him referring to being a vampire. I tried not to think of the details of what that meant.

"To be fair, I didn't know we were going to be hiking in the middle of nowhere," I laughed.

"It's dangerous," he stated.

"You can protect me from anything but yourself, Edward Cullen," I said poking his chest with my pointer finger. He caught my hand and we both looked down at it. I realized that my hand was where his heart should be beating, but there was nothing. I looked up at his light golden eyes.