20. Impatience

When I woke up I was confused about where I was. My thoughts were hazy. Last night was very real, there was no disputing that. I sat up with a huge headache. The room I was in had plain tan walls, and the bed had plain white sheets to match.

My mind wondered to my father. I knew he had to be worried sick about me. I felt guilty for hurting him the way that I did. There was no way he would ever forget the things the I said to him, and neither would I.

"We chose a hotel close the airport. Just in case," Jasper said as he sat a Styrofoam plate on the night stand.

"I got you a change of clothes in the bathroom.I know you must be tired of wearing those." Alice said. I nodded thoughtfully. Why were they being so nice to me? Jasper making sure I had food, Alice giving me a change of clothes, I can't see why they would. I knew better than to ask. I got up off the bed and stretched. I could hear my bones popping after I walked into the bathroom. Alice laughed lightly "You'd think she was our age," she said to Jasper. I turned and smiled at her, "I feel like it."

Alice had packed me leggings and an unfamiliar black shirt. On instinct, I smelled it. It was Edward's. I sighed as I inhaled. I found my eyes welling up with tears at the thought of him. I wished he was here. I put on the shirt and I walked out of the bathroom.

"Thank you," I said as I plopped between them on the couch. "You're welcome," Alice said. "I told you it would make her feel better," Jasper said to Alice. I then thought about how close I was to him. I remembered Edward saying something about Jasper not being used to being around humans. I didn't want to trigger him or make him uncomfortable. "Is this okay?" I asked to no one in particular. "This is okay," Jasper said. He must have assumed my double meaning.

"So... what do we do now?" I asked.

"We wait for Carlisle to call us," Alice said simply. I felt worry. What if something happened to one of them because of me. I couldn't live with myself if any of them got killed because of me. That includes Rosalie's mean ass.

"Bella, stop worrying. Everything will be okay," Jasper said. I had completely forgotten about his control of emotions.

"Everyone back in Forks can take care of themselves. Our only worry is losing you," He continued. I looked to Alice and she nodded with a slight smile.

"But why do you even care," I said.

"Edward has been alone for a century. Now that he found you, he has changed for the better. You cured his depression and gave him a new outlook on life. For that, we thank you," Alice said.

I don't know if it was her words or Jasper's ability but I felt calm. My worry subsided into pure boredom. I found myself pacing back and forth and Alice and Jasper watched television. The sound of a knock on the door startled me and Alice and Jasper simply looked up. I didn't know we were expecting visitors. Alice opened the door to a guy about my age holding a pizza box. "Delivery for Bella Swan," he said as he handed the box to Alice. Alice pulled out her wallet to pay, but the boy declined. "It's been paid for already," he said.

"A tip?" Alice said as she handed the boy a twenty and shut the door. She sat the box on the table and I walked over to it and opened it. It was a ham and pineapple pizza and I smiled. I knew it must've come from Edward.

"That's gross," Jasper said while making a hilarious stank face. "I love pineapples on pizza. And what do you know blood drinker," I teased. I went to grab one and Alice popped my hand. "Wait, I have to as if Edward delivered it," she said. "Of course, he did. He knows that it's my favorite," I said.

She held the phone up and put it on speaker. It only rang once before Edward's musical voice sounded through the phone. "Hello," he said simply. I felt my heart melt. "Did you deliver a pizza for Bella?" Alice asked getting straight to the point. "I did," he said. I could almost hear his smile through the phone. "Hi, Edward," I called. "Bella, hello," he said happily. "How are things?" I asked. "Pretty boring. Thought should know that since you left, Billy and Jacob Black have been at your house none stop with Charlie. He is well protected," he informed me. "Thank you," I said. "I should go now. I love you," he said. "I love you too," I responded and the phone line went dead. I grabbed a slice a pizza and closed my eye as I chewed. When I opened my eyes again Alice and Jasper were giving me the weirdest looks. "What?" I said looking between the two of them.