24. Impasse *Continued

My nurse entered the room and checked my vitals. She asked about my pain levels and such, and I explained to her that I had minor aches here and there, but I was fine. Once she left, Edward kept looking at me as if he wanted to say something. "What is it?" I asked wanting him to spill the beans. He shook his head in response. "Edward you can't keep anything from me. You make things so obvious." I laughed.

"It's your mom. She is skeptical of me. She thinks there is something odd about me," he said. I could understand why it would bother him but Edward was rather odd. I smiled "You are different. You're a freaking vampire."
"Yes, Bella, but she shouldn't know that,"he sighed.
"Wait she knows that you're a vampire!" I asked suddenly. "No. Bella she is very observant. She senses that I'm not the average teenager." He explained. "But you aren't the average teen so why does this bother you?" I asked. "What if she doesn't think I'm good enough for you? What if she starts to think there is something wrong with me?" He asked. "Well you can read minds, so obviously she hasn't come to that conclusion yet. Either way, you are worried about the wrong parent. The one you need to worry about is Charlie, because he is good at holding grudges," I told him. "Well I didn't run away with you, as far as he knows." Edward shrugged. "But he may think I ran because of you." I said in the same tone. "You really just gave me anxiety," he stated. "You're vampire with anxiety? I think I broke you somehow," I laughed and then stopped because my ribs hurt. He shook his head. "Stop laughing at me," in a jokingly stern tone.

  Moments passed before either of us spoke again. "Why did you say no to Florida?" He asked suddenly. I kissed my teeth because he was interrupting my show, MTV's The Challenge. "Because I want to stay in Forks," I answered lazily. I felt as if I were going to be answering this question a lot. "But I'm a danger to you. You could go and I would stay in Forks. No one would try and hurt you there. You'd be safe," He spoke almost too calmly for me. If he loved me as much as he said he did, then why would he ever suggest such a thing? There was an aching pain in my ribs but I ignored it as best I could. I shifted uncomfortably. "Are you really suggesting that my life would be safer without you?" I asked. He nodded wordlessly. " Edward, I love you. Try to remember that because I think my temper is about to get the best of me." He gave me a strange look. "What do you mean?" He asked. "How dare you sit there and say that I should go to fucking Florida? Yes I just went through a lot of shit. Some would even argue that it's because I chose to stay with you, but I chose.You agreed that we are together. You tired of saving me? Huh? Is that it?" I said going into a full rant. I must've looked like a crazy person. Edward took hold of my hand and tried to calm me down but I was pissed. 
"You love me and I love you so why should we be apart? The circumstances don't matter. I could go anywhere in this world and you could stay in Forks but I would still love you. That's how love works. You think I would be able to forget you? But if you really don't want me, then fine, but I'm not leaving Forks. I'll stay my black ass right at Charlie's because that's where I want to be," I huffed. Edward sighed. "I was simply suggesting that maybe you should care more about your well being," he said in a calm voice. "I care about my well being. That's why I'm still in this damn hospital bed. Did I ever mention I hate hospitals?" I said. Whatever the nurse put in my IV had me feeling like I was flying. "You're high as a kite right now," Edward laughed quietly.

  "Kiss me," I said suddenly . "Wait I haven't brushed my teeth," I added. Edward chuckled and leaned over to kiss me anyway. His lips were soft, just as they've always been. My teeth grazed his lips and he groaned. I've never heard that sound before. I wanted to pull him closer but the damn bed rails were in the way. I pushed at the rail not breaking the kiss, and it fell. His arm wrapped around my waist pulling me closer to him. He stopped suddenly and I frowned. "You need to rest," he whispered. I wanted to argue but the tone of his voice was so relaxing that I just gave in. He placed me gently back in my original spot. I tried to rest my eyes but sleep just wouldn't come. I groaned in boredom.

"Edward," I said in the lowest voice I could possibly manage. His head turned to me immediately. I laughed. "What are you doing?" He asked. "You really heard that?" I asked. "Yes," he smiled. "You are supposed to be asleep," he said.
"I was just thinking ..." I trailed off. "Go to sleep Bella," Edward sighed. "No listen, our issue is time right? I'll age eventually and you won't. You always have to look out for me, but what if you didn't have to."

"Where are you going with this Bella?" He knit his eyebrows. "If I were like you. If I became a vam.."
"No." He interrupted my sentence as if it hurt just to think about it. "It's never going to happen. Do you hear me?" He said through gritted teeth. I looked away from him. "I hear you," I retorted. His cold hand took hold of my face and he forced me to look deep into his topaz eyes. "Never." His face was close to mine. I held my breath. He hadn't been aggressive towards me, and I wasn't afraid. But through his small gestures alone I knew that with every fiber of Edward's body, he wanted me to stay human.

"Okay, I won't bring it up again," I said in a small voice. "Yes you will," he responded. "I know you will, because that's how you are, but my answer will not change," his voice was soft but no less effective. I nodded. The atmosphere in the room changed. I didn't want to argue with him but he was right about him being a danger, but the solution to our problem was right in front of us and he was too scared to do it.

"Stop thinking about all this. We are together right now. Soon you'll be out of this bed, and there will be enough time to argue with each other, but for now let's just... be," he said. He kissed me gently on the lips. "I love you," he said. "I know," I responded. He squeezed my hand and said "Forever and always."

**Helloooo, we are almost done !!! So if I do new moon. I will be going off of the movie because y'all I did not like New moon fr. Idk it didn't vibe with me. So it will probably be shorter, but hey Eclipse is my favorite so I want to make it there 😇. Remember to vote, comment, and stay lit. -Tori**