16. Carlisle

Edward held my hand as he led me to Carlisle's office

Edward held my hand as he led me to Carlisle's office. He tapped lightly on the door twice and I barely heard Carlisle's muffled voice say, "Come in". Edward pushed the door open to reveal the office. It was decorated nicely, and was a little darker than I expected. The room had a Victorian feel to it and I imagined that some of the items in the room were probably much older than I could ever fathom.

"What can I do for you?" Carlisle asked looking up from his desk. This guy is so gorgeous. I forced myself not to sigh. I then looked at Edward who was just as gorgeous. Am I lucky or what?

"I wanted to show Bella some of our history," he stated.

"We didn't mean to disturb you," I chimed in feeling bad for interrupting his reading.

"No problem at all. Start where ever," he gestured around the room.

Edward and I stood in front of a painting that looked ancient.

"The London of my youth," Carlisle said. I don't think I could ever get over their way of speaking.

"Will you tell the story?" Edward asked and Carlisle looked at his watch.

"I would but I have to get to the hospital. I'm already running late," he said while getting up from his chair.

When Carlisle left the room I felt more comfortable, like I didn't have to try so hard.

"So, what happened after he realized he became a vampire?"

"He rebelled against it. He was taught to hate the very thing had become. He tried to kill himself but nothing worked. Eventually, he gave up on trying, but he still didn't feed, that made him thirsty and weak."

"That's really fucked up," I said solemnly. From just looking at Carlisle I could never guess what he was or what he'd been through.

Edward nodded, "He grew so thirsty and desperate one night that he attacked a heard of deer to keep from hurting anyone else. With his new-found strength, he been to come to terms with what he was. With his family believing that he was dead he left London and swam to France," Edward stated while playing with my fingers. He told the story as if he'd heard it a million times. I looked at him wide eyed, "He swam to France?" I couldn't comprehend the idea. Just how much were vampires capable of? Why weren't any of them parading around as unknown vigilantes' saving people from danger?

"Yes, people swam through the channel all the time," he said in a "duh" tone.

"Yeah well... you must admit that sounds crazy when you say it like that," I said pointedly.

He laughed "Swimming is easy."

"Yeah... you don't have to breath remember?" I said sarcastically. I couldn't imagine being capable of such things. I would be such a cocky, asshole. I wouldn't be able to stand myself. I sighed at the thought.