5. Blood Type

I made my way to English in a daze. I didn't even realize that class had already started when I walked in.

"Thank you for joining us, Mrs. Swan," Mr. Mason said in a disapproving tone. I rolled my eyes but decided it was best not to respond.

It wasn't until the end of class that I realized Mike wasn't glued to my side like usual. I didn't really feel much guilt for that. He should learn to take rejection better. He did, however, still seem enthusiastic about the trip he'd planned to La Push. There wasn't supposed to be any rain, and everyone seemed really excited. I tried my best to match their excitement to please Mike.

Jessica and I entered the cafeteria like usual and I instantly searched for Edward. When I didn't see him I did my best to hide my disappointment. Did he go home? Is he okay? Jessica pulled me out of my worrying thoughts when she said, "Edward Cullen is staring at you again. I wonder why he sat alone today."

My eyes followed her gaze and true enough there was Edward giving me a crooked smile. He then raised his hand and motioned for me to come sit with him. In reality I didn't need much persuasion but I pretended to contemplate anyway.

"Does he mean you?" Jessica asked in shock.

"Maybe he needs help with homework or something." I said not feeling like she deserved much of an explanation. When I walked away I could feel everyone's stares burning a hole in my back.

"Why don't you sit with me today?" he asked with a gorgeous smile. I was hesitant to sit but I did.

"This is...different," I noted.

"Well, I decided as long as I was going to hell, I might as well do it thoroughly." I tilted my head at him in confusion.

"You know I don't know what hell you mean right?" I said finally.

"Yeah, I know." He then focused his eyes on something behind me then back to my face. "I think your friends are upset with me for stealing you." He laughed.

"They'll survive," I said doing my best to ignore their stares.

"I may not give you back, though." I was a little shook by what he said but I didn't react.

"You look worried." He said suddenly.

"No, I'm just a little surprised. I mean sitting with you at lunch is unexpected."

"I told you that I'm tired of trying to stay away from you. So I'm giving up."

"Giving up?"

"Yes, I am just going to do what I want, and let the chips fall where they may."

"Yep, I'm lost again." I sighed.

"I always say too much when I am talking to you. That's one of the problems." Though I had no idea was he was talking about, I could listen to him speak for hours.

"Don't worry. I don't understand any of it." I said wryly.

"I'm counting on that."

"So in plain English, are we friends now?" I asked.

"Friends...." He trailed off not completing his sentence.

"Or not," I added.

"We can try, but I am warning you. I'm not a good friend for you," he said.

"You keep saying that, yet here I am." I retorted gesturing to the table we were sitting at.

"Yes but you aren't listening to me. If you are smart you'll avoid me."