19. Goodbyes

When I got home my dad was waiting up for me. This was unfamiliar territory, so I wasn't sure how he would react to my late appearance. There was one thing that I knew for sure, this was not going to be fun. I looked at Edward who had been waiting for me to open the car door. "Don't worry. Remember that you are doing this for his safety," Edward said trying to cheer me on. I shook my head "This will change things," I said before opening the door and getting out before I could convince myself otherwise.

"Fifteen minutes," he said as I reached the porch. He followed behind me. Running away from home wasn't really something I've ever thought about because I never had a reason to, but now I had no choice. I looked up at Edward and took a shaky breath. "I love you," I said to him. "I love you to, Bella." His response came after a pause. I then stood on the tip of my toes and kissed him passionately. He wasn't expecting it, but it didn't take long for him to respond. When we pulled away from each other, I could see the fear in his eyes. He only had one thing to dread and that was losing me. I hated seeing the pain in his eyes and knowing that I put it there. If only I weren't a target. If only I weren't his only weakness. I opened the door and yelled "Go away, Edward," I pushed him and slammed the door trying to sell the story to my dad.

"What the hell is going on here?" he asked while getting up from the couch.

"I'm going home," I said in a stressed voice.

"No, you are not driving all the way there tonight. Did that boy hurt you? Let me go get my-..." he began.

"No, he didn't hurt me. I broke up with him," I said angrily while walking up the stairs.

"I have to get out of here. I never should have come here," I said feeling tears run down my face. My father's expression made me want to just forget the last ten minutes ever happened and curl up on the couch together and watch the big bang theory like we used to do.

"If the boy didn't do anything to you then what's the problem?" he asked shaking his head as he watched me pack.

"I can't allow myself to love him. Then I'll be stuck here, just like mom was!" I yelled. He looked at me like I just stabbed him.

"Dad, I just need to get out of here for a while," I said.

"You're seventeen. I've already lost you once I can't lose you again, Bella. Just sleep on it and see how you feel in the morning," he pleaded.

"No," I said simply and I slammed the door behind me and got in my truck. As I began to drive I started to cry hysterically. I couldn't believe I had just said those things to my dad. He had been trying hard to build a better relationship with me and I'd just ruined it. I punched my steering wheel out of anger. The situation was just fucked up.

"Pull over," Edward said to me. I hadn't even realized him sitting in the passenger seat. I did as I was told. We swapped seat and he began to drive.

"Did you mean any of what you said back there?" Edward said in a low tone.

"No... I said what I had to say," I responded. My voice was weak from all the yelling.

"Do you regret it now? Being with me?" he asked.

"Edward, I will never regret meeting you. Even if the worst-case scenario happens. I will never regret sitting next to you in biology, having you save my life, or falling in love with you. You don't regret things like that. You just roll with the punches, even if it kills you," I said.

"What are you going to do to James?" I asked.

"Kill him. Rip his body to pieces and set him on fire. It's the only way to be absolutely sure he is gone," Edward said.

"Whoa. Am I really worth all of this?"

The look on Edwards face was one I had never seen before, pure annoyance. "Really Bella?"

"Okay so that gives me my answer," I laughed.

When we arrived at Edwards house, we bumped into Laurent on his way out. Edward was immediately about to attack him. "Wait, I've come to warn you," he said while holding his hands up in defense.

"James is beyond control now. He hungers for her blood and no one can stop him," he said.

"Maybe one of us can't stop him. Good thing there are seven of us," Emmet said appearing next to Carlisle. Laurent shook his head and walked out of the door.

"What's the plan?" Edward asked.

"We get Bella out of town, while throwing James off their trail. Once she's gone we taunt him and get him out in the opening and take care of him," Alice said.

"Where is he now?" I asked.

"He's meeting up with the red head," Emmett said.

"Rose, switch clothes with Bella," Edward said. I raised an eyebrow. I understood his reasoning, but she hated me so I didn't see it happening.

"Why should I? She is nothing to me," she sneered.

"I would rather serve myself up to James butt naked and smothered in barbeque sauce than to wear your clothes blondie," I stated.

"Esme, please," Edward said.

"Of course," she nodded as we switched jackets.

We set the plan in motion and everything went through as planned. Esme had the red head hot on her trails. Jasper, Alice and I were headed to our designation. While the rest stayed home waiting for the opening they needed to attack James.

We had been on the road for hours and I had been avoiding looking at Jasper. He had a cute face, but weirdly intense eyes. He managed to catch my eyes and I couldn't look away.

"You are wrong about yourself," he suddenly. Alice smiled slightly and kept her head on the road. She wasn't reacting to what he said. She seemed to be in her own world.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"You don't think that you are worth all of this," he stated.

"Yeah," I nodded.

"You are worth it," he reassured me.

"Thanks," I smiled and I closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep.

*** Hello everyone. This chapter was fun, wasn't it? Let me know what you think because your opinions are important to me. I hope you all are having a wonderful day/ night. Remember to vote, comment, and stay lit <3- Tori***