9. Theory

** Alrighty, so before you guys read this chapter I just want to say thank you for actually giving this book a chance. This part in the story is one of the most iconic moments in the whole series so I will try to keep it aligned to the story but in my own special way. I said I would make this about as realistic as it could be so yeah. Enjoy <3 -Tori***

"Can I just ask one more question?" I said to Edward as he sped down the high way.

"One," he agreed and concentrated on the road.

"How did you know where I was when I separated from Jessica?"

He was hesitant to answer. "I followed your scent." He did what? Okay, now I can accept a lot of things. The way he never eats, his cold hands, his weird accent, his pale ass skin, him saving me from impossible situations, but following my scent? That's a no go. If we weren't on the high way of pushing seventy-five, I would have jumped out of the car.

"My scent? So, you read minds and have a super sense of smell?"

"Yes," he said calmly.

"Yes? Yes?! Do you even hear the words coming out of your mouth? Are you just making this up as we go along?"

"You asked the question and I answered, Bella," he laughed. How could he think that this was funny? I crossed my arms and shook my head. I was trying hard not to lose my shit but how much of this did he think I could take. I thought back to the Quileute story Jacob told me. I had done my best to forget about the old legend but here it was invading my thoughts once again.

"Do you know Jacob Black?"

"I do," he nodded.

"He told me this old story about...about your family."

"Let's hear it," he sighed.

"I'll give you the short version. Basically, you and your family are blood drinkers, but you don't hurt humans so they allowed your people to stay, but you can't cross into their territory."

"Why are you telling me this, Bella?"

"It's true, isn't it?" I sounded like an idiot now. I looked down and played with my fingers waiting for him to tell me that I was insane, to which I would reply 'Well that makes two of us.' But he didn't follow the script that played in my mind.

"Yes," his voice was serious. His eyes were glued to me instead of the road but something told me that he wouldn't crash.

"So much for accepting whatever my secret is, huh?" He spoke with a tone that I couldn't quite place. Was it anger, sadness, regret? Maybe it was all three.

"I... you..." I tried to put together a sentence but in my mind, I could only think of one word, vampire. He's just joking, right? There was no way he was serious. This guy was one hell of an actor. I clapped my hands and laughed. I probably looked like I belonged in the looney bin. "You can't be serious," I blurted out.

"Bella..." he trailed. I scooted as far away from him as I could in the car. I needed time to process.

"Bella?" He said again. I ignored him. My stomach dropped as if I were on a roller coaster. I think I'm going to be sick. "It makes sense but it doesn't at the same time..." I began. "I don't know what to say. I would ask you to prove it but I guess you already have."

"By saving you?" he asked. 

"Yes," I nodded. "But despite what you are, you aren't evil. I can believe that you're a ... a vampire because of how you saved me. Yet that just proves that you are good," I said. "How is this possible? I mean if vampires exist then what else is out there?"