14. Mind Over Matter

On the way, back home Edward was flipping through the radio stations. He found an oldies station that was playing ancient music. I gave him a side eyed glance as he sang the song perfectly. "What time is this even from?"

"A time before you," he responded coolly.

"How old are you?" I asked.

He smiled and shook his head letting me know that I wasn't going to get an answer to that question.

"I don't think it matters much," he stated. "It may upset you." He added

"I doubt it," I urged.

"Well, I was born in Chicago in 1901. Carlisle found me in 1918 while I was seventeen. I was dying of the Spanish influenza," he said while looking me intently. He was probably trying to figure out what I was thinking through my expressions but I had a good poker face.

"Your parents?" I asked.

"I don't remember them much. They died from the flu early on. Human memories fade easily. My most vivid memory is when I changed," he informed me.

"How exactly did he save you? I mean do you have to be dying to change or..."

"There is a certain level of restraint you must have to do what he Carlisle did. When we taste human blood, we sort of go into a frenzy. Usually an unstoppable one," he said. His face was calm but I could tell that he was wary of how I would respond so I tried to act cool. Not much of what he said actually surprised me. I figured you didn't become something so strong with a struggle of some sort. "No, you don't have to be dying in order to change but Carlisle wouldn't have done if he had another choice. He saved me because he was alone," he said.

"Wow... that's amazing," I said.

"How did Emmet and Rosalie come about?"

"Rose came after I did. There was hope that she would be my.... Life partner," he said trying to choose his words carefully.

"As in mate? Significant other?"

"Yes."

"Hm," was all I said in response. That explains the look she gives me all the damn time.

"Anyway, she found Emmet. She found him almost dead while she was out hunting and Carlisle changed him."

"Alice and Jasper?"

"Wild cards, both of them. They found each other before they found us."

"Alice can see the future based on the decisions of others, so her visions are always subject to change. Jasper can control the emotions of others," he stated.

"Seriously? That's crazy. I couldn't imagine being so powerful," I said honestly. I looked at Edward realizing just how special he truly was. I wondered why he would ever chose me, a human, to be his only weakness. If I were him I don't think I would take such a risk.

"Are there a lot of vampires?" I asked wondering if any of my favorite celebs were. I was thinking about Robert Downey Jr. He never aged and it would explain a lot. Though he isn't pale. I wonder do vampires tan. Is that a thing?

"Not many. We don't really settle together. There are some who don't have the same beliefs as us. They see humans as prey. They couldn't live among you as we do," he said in strained voice.

"I hope I never meet any of them," I laughed.

"Jacob Black said something about you leaving for a while and then returning, where did you go?"

"Alaska, but they begin to notice how we never aged," he smiled.

"I've kept you from dinner," he said as I parked in front of my house.