Chapter 36

I couldn't even get her through the mind link. She was too far for me to catch her up through the mind link. It felt like as if she was dead but a little part of my heart told me that the moment her heart beat stopped, mine would stop too. I hoped it did.

I ran outside the house and Alpha Jarred came to me running. He had changed back into his human form and I saw small scratched on his chest and hand. I changed into my human form.

"We all heard you howl. She has to be here around somewhere. I don't think anyone has taken her out of this area because the whole place is surrounded by our men.", he said.

I looked all around. "But her scent... I can't get it anymore."

Alpha Jarred's eyes widened and he couldn't speak a word from his parted lips.

"No. She's not dead. I can feel her heart beats still. I know she's alive... just not able to get to her mind link and scent.", I said hoping I was true.

He sighed and said, "Don't worry. We need to check out this house properly. It is big and he must have hidden her somewhere in here. My men are guarding the place, she can't get away."

I ran back inside the house with some hope. Hoping she was there and alive. Hoping that Ryland wouldn't have taken her away from the place while everyone was fighting.

Me and Alpha Jarred got inside the house and broke through ever single door in the house but found nothing.

Then we both reached the last room in the basement where Skylar was chained to the bed. I told him that the scent in the room was of Skylar and it also had Ryland's scent mixed with someone's blood.

My mind was too busy thinking about where and in what condition would Skylar be. I was about to leave the room but Alpha Jarred pulled me back and gestured me to stay quite and listen to some sound. My mind was so filled that I hadn't noticed the breathing sound in the room.

It wasn't mine or Alpha Jarred who was breathing... it was someone more... I looked around furiously... trying to concentrate harder but nobody else was in the room. How could I miss hearing that faint breathing smell of an extra person?!

Two chairs at a corner. One small bed in the centre with chains and a big portrait of an old woman whom I didn't recognise. She looked like a queen or something. The room was dull and no windows.

I shook my head and closed my eyes. I concentrated harder trying to listen from where was the breathing sound came.

Me and Jarred stopped breathing for a minute and the breathing sound of the third person hidden in the room got a bit more clearer...

We both looked at the old woman's portrait in shock and then looked at each other. The breathing sound came from the old woman in the portrait . . . ?

We walked slowly and softly not making a single sound. I could hear my own heart beats in my head.

We both came to the portrait and sniffed it slowly. I could smell a faint stench of blood, mixed with some other smell in it but it was too faint to recognise.

Alpha Jarred took a step back and guestured me to stand at the other side. Then we both held the sides of the portrait and as soon as he guestured me to pull it off the wall, I did it.

We had to put in all our strength in pulling it off and as soon as we pulled it off, a girl screamed loudly. I closed my eyes and covered my ears immediately. It was too loud and shrieky that my ears hurt more than ever.

After the damn female stopped screaming I opened my eyes and was shocked by the sight in front of my eyes.

There was a small cupboard like thing in which I saw Ryland's body crumpled up in a ball and blood all over him. He was only in a pair of boxers and dead. It was his blood's stench that was all around the room and as soon as we pulled open this hidden thing, the stink of his blood rushed into my nostrils and I coughed a bit.