16: So She's a Fixer-Upper...

^^ The First Look ^^

^^ Basement ^^

I raced across the street to check out what I had to work with.

--- Greta's POV ---

I removed the heavy iron lock and chain from the old wooden door, carved with heavily scratched and dented patterns, almost undecipherable.

I heaved on the heavy oak, and slowly opened one side of the double doors.

It creaked like the devils knees, and a wave of dusty, stale air blasted me as the outside air began to replace the old air.

I coughed and covered my mouth and nose, stepping in with a Witchlight raised. The area was illuminated, and I was in awe of the raw bones around me.

It was like someone had gutted the most perfect restaurant in the world. The bones told the story, but the normal people would think it just a broken, dilapidated ruin.

I giggled, happy at my luck, and grabbed a broom, sighing when it crumbled. I repaired it mentally, and weaved a glyph that would strengthen it and return it back to its former state.

The wood darkened, the cracks sealing, and the tines at the bottom straightened, raveling themselves quickly.

I nodded and started sweeping, going through everything before it was thrown away. I found a set of keys, and kept those, just in case.

Then I examined the bones again. Directly in front of the entrance was a massive empty area with bolts in the floors, which was where the tables used to be, and then to the right was a crumbled cobblestone wall, evenly spaced giant fireplaces and Mantles imbedded into the wall.

To the left was a large set of arches, clearly the old dividing line from the kitchen, as destroyed kitchen appliances filled that side.

I laughed. "It's Perfect."

"Wow. Lots of potential."

I jumped, and whirled, again throwing a fireball.

Father simply shrugged it off, brushing Ashe off his leather-clad shoulder. "Sorry to scare you." He smiled.

I sighed. "What is with you people and scaring me?" I sighed.

He laughed. "It's not on purpose. But as I was saying-"

"Potential. I know. And I'm going to make it reach that potential once again. Without your interference. I can handle a little hard work." I warned.

He raised his hands in surrender. "I know! I just want to help. Your shop, your business. How do you like Laurent?" He asked.

"He's nice, and very easy to learn from." I nodded.