32: Grand Master Faust

^^ The Gate ^^

I blinked. "Age? There's an age limit?" I protested, indignant.

--- Greta's POV ---

He nodded. "One must be 16 to study with us here, and a Master. You are a Master, but not 16."

I nodded slowly. "5 years... in that time, I'll take the classes that I haven't taken yet. I've focused on the Core Subjects. I'll take the others, as well."

He nodded. "Very intelligent. Use your time wisely. And when you get here, you could be a Master in all 8 Core Subjects. That would gain you the respect you'd need to succeed here."

"Why would I need respect to succeed?" I asked him.

"Because teachers may choose if you are in their classes, here. The Grand Masters do not tolerate disrespect or challenges to their authority." He sighed. "Close minded fools."

I hummed. "Might be a problem there. I don't Acknowledge Authority."

"And you'll need respect if you want them to not attempt to use their authority. If they never provide you an opportunity to disobey them, then you might succeed." He nodded.

"Why can't I just study on my own? Isn't that an option? Or with a Personal Master?"

He nodded. "Possible. Many have chosen to do so. It allows for a more personal learning experience. I did this as well, though for different reasons." He waved a hand dismissively.

I nodded. "Then I'll see you soon?"

"No. Please do not break into the library through your Hermes Door. I'd rather not have you arrested for Breaking and Entering." He sighed.

"I thought Libraries were public!" I frowned.

"Yes. But the Restricted Section isn't."

"So as long as I stay out of here I'm not breaking any rules?"

"Correct." He nodded.

"Perfect. Good to know. Thank you, Grand Master...?"

"Faust. Marcus Faust." He smiled.

I blinked. "Holy shit."

He raised an eyebrow. "Language."

"But you! You're?! And I'm?! And we're?!? And-"

He held up a hand. "Alright, calm down. How do you know me, again?"

"You don't know the story of Axon Faust?!?" I grinned.

He nodded. "Ahhh. Yes. I am sorry you have had to subject yourself to those old stories-"

"But they're true, I have proof! I live in the House that their ancestor built! The Six Doors of Hermes and the Six Keys?" I grinned.

He nodded. "Ahh... that old place. Technically I own it, but you may live there. Make it your own, I don't care. I don't go there anymore. Haven't in... thirty years? Left the key inside one day and just... left." He hummed, looking off into the distance.

I smiled. "Well, I'll see you soon, and we can talk more. I promise not to break into the Restricted section Gates anymore, and if I want to go into the Restricted Section, I'll ask you. Speaking of which, I have a Rune down here, I wonder where it is..."

He stopped walking, and pulled down a thick sheaf of papyrus. "Right here." He handed the book to me. On its cover was embossed in red 'Greta Falkirk, The Pale Witch'.