39: The Ionian Dragon

^^ Armor ^^

When the Ionian Dragon is your Foe, remember his legendary Tale of Woe.

--- Greta's POV ---

I crept along below the lip of the Dragon Breeding cave, and breathed deeply. 'Alright... am I in the clear?'

'Why didn't you just summon it?'

'I don't have the exact coordinates!!' I hissed back.

She hummed. 'You do now. As soon as you look at it, I'll have the coordinates.'

'I didn't come all the way here to chicken out! Just shut up and tell me if I'm clear to engage!!'

'Which do you want? Me to shut up, or-'

'I WILL END YOU.'

'... you're clear for thirty seconds, starting... go!!!'

I spring silently up the craggy cliff, like a goat, and slipped into the cave.

I found one giant egg, three times as big as the others, and grabbed it. The father snapped his gaze to me, and screeched a war cry. 'Portal, now!'

The ground under me gave way, and I dropped in just as the dragons jaws snapped closed where my head had been.

I halted our landing, and gently set the egg down, closing the portal. I breathed in relief, and shrieked when the portal opened again, and the dragon screeched in Latin. 'You thought you'd get away?!?' He screeched in my mind.

I closed the portal swiftly, and scrambled his mind so he didn't remember the destination of the portal. Immediately, another portal opened, in the city, and I blinked at Mirage. "What the hell is he?" I asked.

'I AM THE IONIAN DRAGON!! I SEEK ONLY TWO THINGS!! THE DEATH OF THE PALE WITCH, AND THE RETURN OF MY CHILD! ALL OTHERS WILL BE LEFT TO THEIR OWN DEVICES!!' He roared into a broadcast mental link.

"Well, it's always helpful when your enemies introduce themselves... looks like Levi was right... what's the Ionian Dragon's Tale of Woe?" I asked mirage.

She chuckled. "He is an ancient Mage, that was cursed by a Lich King to know everything there was to know about the Universe, excluding Earth. He knew about the Demon Planet, but no one beloved him, so he turned into a Dragon, to prove his point, but couldn't turn back. He died, though... this is probably his descendant. Mages aren't immortal." She shrugged.

"So he's a Mage/Dragon with Cosmic Knowledge?" I asked.

"Correct."

I nodded slowly. "And how was he 'killed' in the legend?"

"He was imprisoned after the Demon Planet came, for failing to warn us. Stupid, really. The world was just looking for someone to blame, even after he warned them. They executed him, I think. Cut off his head with a magic blade." She shrugged.

"That's the best you can give me? A magic blade? What type? Was there a specific way it was done?"

She shrugged. "That's all I've got."

"Aaagh..." I groaned. "Fine..." I extended my mind into a portal, and called on Axum. 'I might need your help, Axum. The Ionian Dragon is in my city, and looking for my head. I don't know how to kill a dragon, specifically this one.'

He replied instantly. 'Run.'

I tsk'ed. 'Not an option.'

'... then do like with the Apep Thorns. His armor is indestructible, tried and true... only one blade ever cut him, and it was melted down, so that's not going to help you... get inside of him, and unleash an Icy Hell. Or maybe use your blood magic.'