36: Scrying

^^ Silvia's Eye ^^

"What? That's totally how it works!-" We continued arguing about whether or not that was how marriage proposals were supposed to work, and any other topic imaginable as we walked towards 'Greta's Garden'.

--- Greta's POV, 129-5E (12)---

I sat down slowly, looking around. There was only one other student in the room, and one grown woman, sitting on the desk and watching us all with unfocused, luminous blue eyes.

I noticed a tattoo of some kind, around her eye, and squinted. My sight sharpened at my command, and I gasped. She had so many runes of focus and Sight around her eyes that I was honestly surprised she hadn't gone blind from trauma, or insane from Visions.

Then I saw her irises, as she looked directly at me. They, too, were filled with Runes, of the highest order. I'd seen them before, but never together. One, Alone, applied daily, gave me the Precognition that had allowed me to dodge danger before it happened.

She had close to 300, chained together in nine rings. At the moment, three rings were lit up, causing the illumination.

The main rune in the center was an old rune, long-since replaced with a more effective version, that simply gave one the ability to see current events within your limited range from a different perspective, called 'Fly on the Wall'. The range varied according to where the Rune was placed, and the Focus of the person who laid it. It was a Neutral Rune, and therefore the Focus of the Caster was very important in its potency.

The woman who'd invented in in the Second Era had meant it to spy on her cheating wife. Terrible waste of a Personal Rune, but it had its... uses. She smiled suddenly, and I flinched. "Don't be frightened, little one. My name is Dr. Silvia Renton. My friends call me Oculus, or sometimes Siren." She turned and sat in the chair behind her desk.

"I'm Greta, Greta Falkirk." I smiled.

The boy of the three of us nodded. "I'm Willam, Willam Finch."

She smiled. "Well then. Let's get to it. The moment you met my eyes, I knew everything about you. Both of you. That is my burden. I've tried sunglasses, but they don't help." She said the last comment to me offhandedly.

I blinked. "I have Wards-" I began falsely, smirking internally. I knew I'd recognized those rune rings. A soul reader. Humph.

"Yes, yes you do, but you'd've noticed by now that three rings on my eyes were lit up when I looked at you the first time. A glance is all I need at that level... though your Wards were... impressive. Yours, Mr. Finch, were not. How are you a Master of Runes?" She asked bluntly.

He stuttered. "I-I invented a Rune when I was Six. A Rune to micro-manage atomic structures, used in modern Alchemy. They gave me my Masters the moment I enrolled. My schooling is still... lacking."

She smiled. "Ahh... honesty. I'd hoped you would give me some. As someone who knows everyone's secrets, I so rarely hear true honesty. And you, Greta? How are you a Master?"

"Hard work... is what I would like to say. But it was more like a Game, one I was determined to win. So I did. Simple." I smiled.