Chapter 2

Kanda's POV

Today is another boring day in the kingdom.

"Are you board too?" I ask my pet snake, Mugen, as she lazily slithers up my leg and wraps herself around my waist for a nap.

"Kanda! Come here this instant!" screams a voice that I least want to hear today.

"Fine." I reply lazily.

I get up and walk towards the voice that called my name in a very rude fashion.

The one who's calling me is none other than the royal adviser, Jellal. Jellal is pretty young to be an advisor. He's the first man to ever become a royal advisor at the age of fifteen. Jellal is very tall for his age, and he looks and acts so mature, people always treat him like an adult even though he's one year younger than me. I'm the older one, but I always get treated like a little kid. This is so unfair!

Jellal has blue eyes and hair. His skin color is pale like everyone in this kingdom. One strange thing about Jellal is a red tattoo that he has on his right eye. I once asked him about it and he just said that it's a tattoo that he has on for decoration.

"What do you want?" I ask.

"You know exactly what I want! Today is the deadline. Either you choose or your father chooses for you. So who will it be?" he says impatiently.

"None of them. I don't want to marry any of these women." I answer.

"Damn it Kanda! I'm trying to help you! Choose a bride or else your father will choose one for you. And we all know what terrible matchmaking skills that man has." Jellal says.

"Yeah he sucks. But my final answer is none. I don't want any of these women. I want to marry somebody that I truly love with all my heart." I answer.

"Are you sure?" he asks.

"Yes." I answer honestly.

"Fine. Do what you want." he sighs. Then he walks away to talk to my father about my final decision.

A few hours later.

It's already lunchtime, so now my decision has been finalized. I walk into the dining room and sit down in a chair. I wait patiently for my father to tell me his final decision.

"So is this your final decision son?" my father asks.

"Yes father." I reply.

"Alright then." he says. "This is your new bride." he says as he pushes a portrait of her to me.

My bride is a skinny girl with green eyes and hair and a short stature. I have to admit, she is beautiful. Even though she's on the short side, it's not that bad because I look like a fifteen year old instead of an eighteen year old.

"Her name is Cleo." says Jellal, who was sitting next to my father this whole time.

"She truly is a cutie." my father says happily. "She's from the kingdom of Labaria. She'll be a perfect wife for you." my father says, proud of his final decision.

I would say 'Sure, I'll marry her', but the sad look on Jellal's face makes me stop myself from saying anything.

"There's one thing that you must do before you marry her." father says.

There's always a catch to everything.

"You must swear to never leave the palace. Her kingdom has strict rules, and staying in the kingdom at all times is one of them. I'm sure that it won't be a problem for you. You've already lived in here for eighteen years, the rest of your life shouldn't be that bad." he says.

All of a sudden I feel like I hit a wall while driving a car that's going 100 miles per hour. And that's really bad because I don't even know what a car is!

"No. I'm sorry father but I can't marry this girl." I say while trying to sound calm. I know that it's futile to argue with my father once his mind's been made up, but I have to try.

"No. My mind's been made up. I already sent the agreement letters to the kingdom. if you didn't want this to happened, then you should have chosen your own bride before I had to do it for you."  he says.

"Please father! You can't do this to me! I've been waiting my whole life to see the world beyond the palace walls. Please father!" I beg him as tears roll down my face.

"No means no, Kanda!" my father yells.

I'm so hurt I can't even think straight I run out of the dining room and go strait to my bedroom. As soon as I get there, I lay in top of my bed and cry.

I feel so embarrassed and ashamed. I know that I'm acting like a little girl, but I just can't take it any more.

I hear a knock on my door and I scream, "Go away!"

"It's me." says the only voice that I can stand to listen to right now.

"Come in." I say as I sit upright on my bed and wipe away my tears.

My little sister Jasmine walks into the room and sits down on my bed. "What happened?" she asks with a caring voice.

My little sister is one of the few people I love and trust in the world. She and I have both been kept in this castle for all of our lives. We promised each other that we would one day see the outside world together.

We've never left the palace, but we have a friend who tells us a lot about the outside world. My sister has a secret boyfriend named Aladdin. He's a wanted thief, but he's not as famous as the kingdoms most wanted man, Allen, so Aladdin easily sneaks into the kingdom.

"I don't want to marry the woman that father wants me to marry because before we get married I must swear to never leave the palace for the rest of my life. I'm never going to be able to get out of this place!" I explain to her as I start to cry once again.

"There. There." she says as she hugs me and pats my back.

"I'm sorry Kanda. I'll go talk to father and try to got him to canc-" that was as far as she got before my father came into my room and told her to leave.

After she leaves my father sits down on my bed and says, "I'm sorry Kanda. I know how much you've always wanted to go outside of the kingdom, but you have more important responsibilities here."

He pulls me in for a hug, and as much as I want to hit him right now, I still hug him back.

"I understand." I say sadly and quietly.

He apologizes one more time. Then he kisses my forehead and then leaves me all alone in my room.

Throughout the whole night I can't sleep. I can only cry and curse my bad luck.

At around midnight I hear a thud in the ground next to my window.

I quickly light a candle and look around the room. "Who's there?" I ask as I begin to tremble.

A hand taps my shoulder and I turn around to see a tall, pale, albino with a strange red marking on his left eye.