TGWOD chapter 1

The Great Wall of Derek
ConchyJoe

Summary:

Derek had always hidden behind an emotional wall to protect himself since Kate. And rightly so, look what loving means: he lost his family, was used by the Darach and now has given up his Alpha Spark for Cora. Stiles couldn't let him go without telling him how he feels for Derek. Both find that their unrequited love isn't as unrequited as they thought. It is now up to Derek if he is willing to give love another shot. Whatever his decision it sets them off on a new chapter of their lives.
Notes:

Let me know know what you think with your comments and kudos. Thanks
Chapter 1

Notes:

Some have said that the first few chapters are a bit schmaltzy. If that's not your thing and you prefer to miss that and get to the more action parts go to Chapter 9. I'll put a quick summary at the beginning of Chapter 9 so that you haven't missed the plot.
Chapter Text

Cora woke up in her hospital bed feeling normal again, all the waves of pain and incoherency had gone; she was just left feeling very weak. She looked around and saw Derek was unconscious on the floor, she began to panic. From the shadows, Uncle Peter emerged saying

"Derek, against my better wishes, sacrificed his Alpha Spark to save you. Put these on and we'll get him out of here".

In shock at what she'd heard, Cora dressed in the clothes that Peter had thrown at her and hooked her head under one of Derek's arms as Peter did the same on the other side and they dragged him to the Toyota.

"I don't know how long he is going to be unconscious and I'm not sure what state he'll be in when he wakes. I've only heard of this happening in theory, I've never heard of any Alpha doing this in practice",

Peter told Cora as he drove back to the loft with Derek sprawled out on the back seat. Cora was stunned that Derek would do this for her, she hadn't been the best of sisters or betas since she had returned to Beacon Hills, yet Derek was willing to sacrifice both his alphadom and the Hale territory which had been theirs since California had been settled. There was no way that they could hold the land against any land-hungry Alpha as they were all now Omegas. The fear and the magnitude of Derek's sacrifice hit her together with an immense feeling of affection for her big brother.

After getting back to the loft, and opening the door, Peter unhitched himself from under Derek saying

"I'm off to check where we stand on the Darach and the Alphas front"

and left Cora there on her own with her brother. As Derek was a dead weight and she was still feeling so weak she couldn't do anything more than ease Derek onto the floor and make sure he was comfortable. She leaned against him and, resting his head on her shoulder, she ran fingers through his hair as their mother had done so many years ago when they were tired after the full moon when they had first shifted. After what felt like hours, Derek started to stir. He saw his sister and smiled and then drifted back to sleep while Cora continued to pet him.

Realising how thirsty and hungry she was feeling, she got up made some sandwiches and got some bottles of water and came to sit by her brother again. She was drinking one of the bottles of water when she saw that Derek had woken again and was looking at the bottle.

"Do you want one? I've got one for you here."

She held it out but Derek didn't move to take it and she saw the shock and fear on his face, he couldn't move.

"Ssh, Derek, it's okay, you're just wiped out. Here"

and she held the bottle to his mouth while holding her hand underneath his mouth for any drips. Once he had taken his fill, she broke her sandwich into tiny pieces and then fed Derek. Once finished she continued to stroke Derek saying

"It's all going to be fine, big bro".

To her surprise she heard the door open, she hadn't heard any car or even footsteps on the stairs. There stood Stiles with a gash on his head and dust on his clothes

"Derek! Cora! You're okay, thank God".

He came in rushing towards them both. Seeing that something was not right, he slowed down and dropped down on his knees in front of them both,

"What's wrong?".

Warm amber eyes looked at both of them with such worry and care that something eased in Cora's chest. She knew that everything would be fine now as Stiles would work out what to do.

"We're okay, Stiles, Derek saved me but sacrificed his Alpha power to do it. He'll be fine but he's no energy to move any of his limbs at the moment and he can't talk".

Stiles lifted his hand to pet Derek as Cora was doing but stopped himself and instead squeezed Derek's shoulder.

"Okay, let me help you get your brother to the bed, he'll be more comfortable".

After getting him there, Stiles and Cora took off Derek's shoes, socks, jeans and Henley and laid him under the comforter in just his briefs after Stiles had plumped up his pillows.

"Can I borrow your keys to the Toyota and the loft, my Jeep got into a crash. I'll be gone about twenty minutes to get some things and will be right back. Can you look after Derek while I'm gone? Don't open the door for anyone".

She nodded, Stiles gently stroked Derek's arm while Cora got the keys. He then left after having locked the door to the loft behind him.

"See it's all going to be okay",

Derek rolled his eyes and Cora smiled down at Derek and kissed his forehead.

In less than twenty minutes, the door opened with a breathless Stiles carrying a big black bag which he dropped on the floor by the bed. He took out a bag of mountain ash, saying

"I'll look after Derek, can you go help Scott look for the Darach? and watch out for the twins. He's by the school. I'm going to put mountain ash round the bed and the windows and doors to keep everyone out while Derek's like this."

While Stiles laid the ash out round the windows, Cora hugged her brother and kissing him on the cheek walked to the door with Stiles following her.

"Be careful"

Stiles warned

"and call me if you've any problems. Text me every twenty minutes in any case so I know you're okay".

Cora hugged Stiles saying

"Look after him".

Stiles smiled and, closing the door after her, said

"Always".