chapter nineteen

Olivia closed her bedroom door, making her way to her closet, to rid her clothes in exchange for new ones.

Walking to her bed, she stopped in place noticed the silk stick out from under it. Once remembering what had happened the other day, she picked it up and sat on her bed, getting comfortable.

She placed the pillow case down, staring at it. Her mother seemed very interested in hiding the file, so maybe she shouldn't open it. But who was she kidding? Olivia was way to curious to put it back without looking.

So, Olivia slowly pulled the file folder out of the pillow case, placing it on top. Taking a breath, she opened the folder, moving the extra papers.

Then she got to the bottom sheet, which was a certificate. Once ready it over, Olivia broke her hand up to her mouth, choking back a sob. Tears began to stream down her face as it registered in her brain.

On the certificate, read:

Certificate of Adoption

This is to certify that

Olivia Martin

has been formally adopted

into the Martin family

By Robert and Natalie Martin

On this 22 of July 1997

Robert Martin (signature)

Natalie Martin (signature)

Hearing someone approaching her room, she quickly hi the papers under her blanket, standing up.

Her bedroom door opened, revealing Lydia.

"Hey? You ready to go to the game?"

"Yep." Olivia grabbed her jacket, leaving the room.

"You alright?"

"You know what? I'm not pretending." Olivia as she let the tears she was desperately holding back fall.

"Olivia, what's wrong?"

"Did you know?"

"Olivia what are you talking-"

"Did you know?" Olivia asked more stern

"Know what? You're going to have to be a bit more sp-"

"Jesus Christ, Lydia that I'm fucking adopted!"

Lydia's eyes widened, "Olivia..."

"You did know."

Lydia sighed, "Olivia, I wasn't allowed to say anything."

"Lydia, who cares?! We're sisters! Sisters tell each other everything!"

"Liv, I am so sorry. Please you can't be mad at me."

Olivia looked down. "I'm not mad." She brought her voice down

"You're not?"

"We just stopped fighting. I don't want to start another one. I just- I feel betrayed."