Chapter Twelve: New Beginnings

*Katniss*
    I have to hand it to my mother, I never knew how stubborn she could be. It took much convincing to tell her that I was fine and that she had more important patients to tend to. She tried to keep me in the hospital a little longer but honestly it was starting to make me feel restless. She finally consented when I told her that Gale would take care of me and that she needed to get back to District One, where they are now doing tons of medical research all under my mother's supervision, to help train the new medics.
   After three days in the hospital we walked my mother to the train station. She hugged me tight and I returned her embrace.
"Keep in touch." She said plainly.
"Of course" I tell her, although we both know that she may not have much time between work shifts to talk to me.
   She steps back and squeezes my shoulders. Gale gives her a hug as well and she reminds him to keep his stitches clean. He laughs.
"Of course Ms. Everdeen" She smiles and winks at him. And with that she boards the train and we watch it fade into the distance.
   All of a sudden I'm lifted off the ground and over Gale's shoulder.
"Gale!" I shriek as gravity is suddenly taken from me.
"You heard your mom Catnip, IM the one taking care of you now, and I do believe you have been on your feet for too long." He replies to my protests sarcastically. I groan.
"Gaalleee, I have been lying in bed for three days straight I think I can handle the walk to my house."
"Mmmm nah." He says.
I scoff, and then groan again in protest. But I know he doesn't plan on letting me down so I hang limply in defeat over his shoulder. He laughs, "Thought you weren't one to give up so easily Catnip."
"Don't you get too cocky mister, I'll find a way to one up you soon enough."
"Is that so?" I can feel his smirk.
"Yes. Yes it is so you better watch yourself."
"Alright Catnip, I'll do that." He replies with so much sarcasm that I hit his back. He probably doesn't even feel it.
"Hey! I'm serious, I'm gonna get you so good and so fast you won't even know what hit you and then you'll wish that you were prepared."
"Mhm whatever you say Catnip." He says again with sarcasm. I shake my head at his cockiness.
   We're nearing my house now and since the war previous escapees from twelve and other citizens of New Panem have moved to district twelve, so Gale and I decided that he could live in the house with me in the Victor's Village. Plus, as my mother told, I need someone to take care of me.
   I'm not going to lie, it's strange having Gale as a roommate after all this time. But I guess I'll get used to it.
  At the door he finally sets me down so that I can unlock it and I can still feel his smirk while I glare at my key. I lead him upstairs to one of the many bedrooms in this house so that he can get himself situated. Meanwhile, I go
to my room to take a shower.
   I was allowed a small shower at the hospital but only enough time to get the majority of the dirt off of me. So, I probably still look and smell horrid from being prisoner for a week. After all that time I've longed for a shower and as I step under the hot water it feels like a luxury to have at the moment.
   I stay in there for probably a half an hour before reluctantly deciding to shut off the water. I re-dress my injuries as my mother showed me, and then I throw on some jeans and a T-shirt. I comb my hair before braiding it like I always do. I look in the mirror and am pleased that besides the bruises I have literally everywhere, I look...normal. Like myself.
   I head out of my room to try and find Gale in this huge house of mine, when I find him in Peeta's old painting room. I guess he forgot to clear it out because most of his artwork is still there. I silently watch as Gale looks around the room. I wonder what he thinks when he sees all these images. Most of them are of me from the Games or the war, some are from his time in the Capitol, and other new ones are from when we returned to twelve. Most are hung on the walls but he has so many that some are propped up against walls or chairs and others are still on the eisels.
   "How does he do this?" Gale asks in awe of the masterpieces before us. I used to sit and watch him paint in pure wonder at his capabilities so I know how Gale feels.
"He explained it to me once. He said it helps him process what real or not. He said that it was easier to paint the things he remembered and that it also helped him...cope with..nightmares. He would just come in here whenever he had one and just paint for hours." I tell him. Gale nods and looks in my direction.
"And how do you do it?" He asks. "How do you cope with them?" I look down at my feet.
"I haven't found out how to yet." I sigh. Before he can keep talking about it I interrupt him.
"Your stitches need to be cleaned." He tried to protest but I take his good arm and drag him to the bathroom.
   I try to be careful but every once in a while he winces and I feel terrible about it. After cleaning the long line of stitches down his forearm, I dab on some oil that prevents infection before wrapping them in fresh bandages. As I do this Gale asks "How did you tell him?"
"Tell him what?"
"That you didn't love him, like...that."
"I told him that I loved him as a friend and that the Capitol forced feelings on us that weren't real. And that he should find his happy ending with someone else and not to let me hold him back."
He gives me a small smile.
"Who was this "someone else"?" He asks.
"Delly Cartwright." I tell him as I put the bandages away.
"Delly? Wow. I mean I guess I should've called that one." He says and I laugh, "She came for dinner when she moved back to 12 after the war and now that I think about it you should have seen the looks they we're giving each other. Gosh it must have been torture staying with me after that."
Gale laughs, "And whys that?"
"Because he tries so hard to be so...nice and I'm just not." I smile at my feet.
"Well I could've told you that!" Gale says and I punch him in the arm and gape at him in disbelief.
"Well it's the truth!" He says still laughing. It is true though so finally I give in and laugh with him.
   After the laughing stops we go down to the kitchen and I attempt to make dinner. I end up burning the first batch of pasta before Gale takes over to make some more. I sit on the counter and watch him cook which he is surprisingly good at. We talk and talk and after we eat he hugs me goodnight.
   I lie down in bed and try not to think about the nightmares to come. But I do think about today and how wonderful it was and how I hope we have more days like this. And as I drift off to sleep the last thought I have is of a kiss on my hand and the words "Goodnight Catnip" whispered in my ear.