Chapter Fifty Two: Being With You

*Katniss*
   "Shhh, shhh." I murmur to Asher. He gets fussy as a place him in the crib. I gently run my fingers down his arm and immediately the fussing stops. His head turns to the side and his breathing evens out.
   "I love you Ash." I whisper pressing a kiss to his forehead. He yawns and I smile at how adorable he is.
   After quietly closing the door behind me I go back to the living room for Iris. I find her asleep already asleep, lying on Gale's chest. She's definitely a daddy's girl. I chuckle softly to myself and watch them for a moment, so peaceful together.
   After a while I walk over to Gale and run my fingers through his hair, gently waking him up. He traps my hand in his and presses a light kiss to the back of it, like butterfly wings against my skin.
"I love you..." He murmurs happily. I smile and lean down to kiss him. When I pull away he opens his eyes and gives me a small smile.
"And I love you. But we have to put the little one to bed."
   He groans but gently cradles Iris in his arms and carries her to her and Asher's room. I watch silently from the doorway as he kisses them both goodnight. He slowly shuts the door behind us as not to wake them, even though I'll be getting up to feed them again in a couple of hours.
   As soon as the door clicks shut he takes my face in his hands and kisses me. It takes me by surprise but only for a moment. When he pulls away he leaves me dumbfounded for a second.
"What was that for?" I ask. He smiles and kisses me softly again.
"I just wanted to kiss you." He murmurs. His breath gently blows against my lips as he says this, and his lips are so closes to mine they're practically touching.
   His hands gently trail down to my hips and then pull me closer to him. His body heat radiates onto me and his arms around me make me feel protected for anything and everything.
   My fingers cross behind his neck and I pull his lips down to mine. All time stops for the moment as his lips crash into mine. All that exists in the universe is us amongst the stars.
   I'm the first to pull away, as I do Gale gives me a look telling me he doesn't want to be done. I smirk and we wander downstairs.
   I end up lying on his chest as he gently plays with my hair.
"I never thought I'd have this." Gale's voice suddenly interrupts my trance.
"Have what?" I ask
"A family, a life, marriage, happiness, you. After the war I never believed any of this was possible for me."
"Well, Gale, you didn't have a choice not to have all this. I wasn't about to let you wallow in self misery for the rest of your life, you should have remembered that your best friend was Katniss Everdeen." I reply only somewhat sarcastically. It is true, sooner or later I was bound to go back to him. It just took me a while.
   Gale chuckles at my remark and kisses my hair.
"I guess you're right." He says softly. I prop myself up to look at him.
"I'm always right." I say sarcastically, smirking at him. He raises an eyebrow before replying.
"Except for when you challenged that bear." He smirks at me now while I glare at him.
"That was one time!" I protest.
"Or when you went in to a wild dog's den for a deer carcass." I continue to glare at him.
"OR when you tried to sell game to peacekeepers on REAPING day." He laughs and recalls several more memories before I cover his mouth with my hand.
"Okay so MOST of the time, I'm right." I tell him and he laughs quietly as not to wake the twins.
"And need I not remind you that it was you that fell out of a tree and broke your wrist. And YOU got us stuck in the woods during a snowstorm. And YOU-"
He holds his hands in surrender interrupting my rant.
"Okay, okay! We're even!" He says and I smile victoriously.
  Just then the twins start to cry and I moan, not wanting to leave Gale's arms. Eventually motherly instinct wins out and I go to get Iris.
   Gale follows me and picks Asher up and rocks him while I feed his sister.
"So when is a good age to teach them how to hunt? Does six months sound good to you?" Gale asks me sarcastically. I laugh, "I think a little older than that." I say winking at him.
Gale smiles back at me and then looks down at Ash.
"Yep, your gonna be good with a bow like your mom and your gonna be a good trapper like me. But I'm gonna teach you the snares because if we're honest your mom isn't very good at it..." Gale tell Asher, who stares up at him with wide grey eyes. I scoff but don't argue because it's true.
   Once Iris is done Gale and I trade off and soon both twins are sleeping again. Gale lays them both down in their cribs while I stay in the rocking chair in the corner of the room.
  I sigh happily causing Gale to turn to me.
"You look tired." He states. I nod my head slowly before reaching my arms up to him.
"Carry me." I say. He chuckles and obeys, walking over and picking me up like a child.
   He carries me down the hall to our room and sets me down on the bed. He quickly joins me and wraps his arms around me, pulling me close and creating a bubble of protection and warmth around my entire body.
   I sigh happily and breathe in his familiar scent.
"I love you." I murmur as my eyelids close.
"I love you too Catnip."