Epilogue

*Katniss*
   "Be careful you two!" I holler at the twins who are now twelve. They laugh and run off into the woods to create all sorts of mischief. I shake my head roll my eyes when suddenly a strong pair of arms wrap around my waist.
"They'll be fine." Gale tells me in my ear. I smile and twist in his arms so that in facing him. Wrapping my arms around his neck I kiss him.
   He takes my hand and leads me over to our spot, our rock. He pulls me into his lap and I lean against his chest.
   The warm summer air surrounds us and feels good against my skin. In the distance I can see Iris and Asher climbing trees. Iris leaps from branch to branch just like Rue did. She definitely lived up to her middle name.
   Her features are more like mine while Asher's are more like Gale's. Both with dark hair and intense grey eyes.
   Those two are rarely seen without each other, and they're nearly always causing trouble. But the bond they share is like nothing I've ever seen. And I'll be honest the pranks they come up with make me laugh. It reminds me of Gale and I when we were younger.
   We take them to the woods more and more often. When they're not causing trouble they're extremely curious and want to learn more and more about hunting and survival. They learn quickly and we teach them as much as we can. They'd probably stay in the woods their entire lives if we didn't send them to school.
   They don't complain about it too much though, after all that's where their friends are. Prim became a sister to Maggie when she was three. And Mason and Nadia came to have two little boys Aiden and Noah, identical twins, and one precious little girl Lily.
   They all play and hang out together constantly. Acting more as a family than just a group of friends. I'm glad because it's how Gale and I's families were when we were their age.
   Haymitch and Effie finally got married a few years ago, with much stubbornness by both of them. Convincing Haymitch to propose and get over his irrational fear of rejection was like trying to walk a cat. There was many insults thrown but eventually Iris told Uncle Haymtich to get over himself and he did it. I took her out for ice cream after that.
   Posy and Finn are dating and going to highschool back in District Four. Rory moved to District Seven with his wife and Vick and his fiancée plan on moving back to District Twelve at the end of the summer.
   Joanna is a single mom of an adorable little girl named Willow, and they happily live in District Seven.
   My mother and Hazelle are roommates now since my mother is slowly retiring from her work. They live here so they can see their grandchildren more often and they act as grandparents to many of the new generation of kids, since much of the population of grandparents were killed in the war.
   When our children were ten we told them everything. My time in the Games and Gale and I's time in the war. We explained why our nightmares came and why they might not ever go away. We told them that this world will never be like the world Gale and I grew up in. That we will protect them no matter what. And that because of those people who bravely fought, like their Aunt Prim, we can live free lives.
   Asher and Iris took the news as if they'd always known. They both smiled before Asher spoke up.
I'd like to see anyone try and put us in danger again. He said with a sparkle in his eye. They are both stronger and braver than I ever was. It gives me peace to know that they'll be okay no matter what comes our way. They stick up for each other and protect each other every day. Perfect Hunting Partners.
   I chuckle as I think about it.
"What?" Gale asks suspiciously. I smile and look up at him before turning back to look back at our kids. They're both hanging upside down from a branch and laughing.
"They remind me so much of us." I say finally. Gale laughs lightly in response.
"They do don't they?" He murmurs. I play with his fingers gently, making sure he lets his guard down, before slipping his ring off of his finger.
   His eyes sparkle as I challenge him to catch me. I spring up and run into the clearing. We run around as he tries to catch me for a long time, acting like our kids.
   Suddenly he catches me from behind and tackles me to the ground. I pin my hand behind my back, holding the ring.
Gale smiles as he tries to get my hand from underneath me.
   After much struggling he finally gets my hand free and snatches his ring back. He slips it on to his left hand and then helps me up.
"I think I'd make a pretty good thief, as long as it wasn't you who was chasing me." I say winking at Gale who smiles mischievously.
"Well, Catnip, stealing is punishable by death, or hadn't you heard." He says smirking. I smirk back as I remember that those were the same words he said to me when we first met in these very woods. I walk slowly over to him and wrap my arms around his neck. His hands secure around my waist.
   I look to see if the twins are still in sight and I spot them on the same tree, completely oblivious to our little childish game. I turn back to him and meet his gaze with a smirk.
"I'll take my chances." I say and he smiles before crashing his lips into mine.